The combination of the spice and juiciness of Italian sausage with the sweetness of bell peppers is the kind of classic Italian cuisine. This Italian Sausage, Onions and Peppers Skillet is the perfect example of a healthy meal that I love making, using my cast iron. It’s super simple and quick to make and it’s a great meal choice for this time of the year when we all are craving more comfort foods. Juicy morsels of Italian sausage pan roasted with strips of sweet bell peppers, savory onions, and Italian spices, this sausage and peppers recipes is hands-off and super tasty.
Whether you are partial to sweet Italian sausage recipes or hot Italian sausage recipes, this dish has you covered. You can use any type of precooked sausage you like. First, you need to heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Then, add the sausage and cook it for about 2-3 minutes until all the sides are brown. At this point, sausage won’t be cooked through. Remove the sausages from the skillet and place on a cutting board to slice them. Set aside. Now it’s time to sauté the onions and bell peppers in the same skillet.
If you need to add more olive oil or even butter before cook the onions and bell pepper. Add garlic and season with salt and black pepper and red flakes or other spices of your preference. Sauté the veggies for about 3 minutes. Pour apple cider or red wine into the skillet with peppers and onions, and scrape the bottom of the skillet to release all brown bits. This part is very important because the brown bits add more flavor to this dish.
Bring slices of sausage back into the skillet, and reduce heat to medium. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Then, uncover the skillet and increase heat to medium-high and cook for 3 more minutes or just until liquid is evaporated and sausage is cooked through. Before serve, top with freshly chopped parsley and basil.
- 1 package spicy Italian sausage, 5 or 6 sausages total
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons crushed tomato
- 1/2 cup (125ml) vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds, crushed in a mortar
- 1 scallion, sliced, for garnish
- Fresh chopped basil, for garnish
- Heat a bit of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add Italian sausages and cook until browned on all sides. You can add 1/4 cup (60ml) of water so they don’t blacken and stick to the pan.
- When the Italian sausages are almost cooked, transfer to a cutting board.
- In the same skillet, add 1 tablespoon oil and sauté onions with crushed fennel seeds, crushed chili pepper flakes, and Italian seasoning.
- Add the garlic, ground tomato and sauté for 1 or 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Then add bell pepper and diced tomatoes and cook until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in broth and cook for another minute or so. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Slice Italian sausage into 1/4 or 1/2-inch pieces and add back to the skillet with other ingredients. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, until sausage, is cooked through and sauce is thickened.
- Adjust seasoning, garnish with basil, chopped scallion, and parmesan. Serve immediately on hoagie buns, or over rice, pasta or bulgur.