This is a Pakistani street food recipe, the mutton curry is made by cooking mutton in tomato puree and spices. It is high on fat and high on oil. Heat oil in a pan (it uses a lot of oil do not compromise as it is going to impact a lot of taste and flavour). Next, add the meat (it can be lean meat which is a boneless or fatty meat.
Cut the meat in size of preference and wash it nicely then fry the meat for at least 7 to 8 minutes until it starts to get the golden brown colour. The meat releases a lot of moisture hence cook for a high flame for at least 12 to 15 minutes and ensure that the water content gets absorbed again. While the meat is still getting cooked add in some flavour.
For flavour, add some crushed ginger, chillies. Next, add tomato puree. The meat initially seared in for 20 minutes then 10 minutes in the tomato puree. Add freshly crushed coriander powder, red chillies, graham masala, roasted cumin powder, turmeric, dried Fenugreek leaves and then salt. Stir it up as it cooks on high temperature.
Add water so that the meat cooks well. Cover it and cook it for 30 to 40 minutes on medium flavour. Then open the lid and give it a stir if the meat is finally cooked remove from the heat. Put it to the bowl and garnish it with chillies and chillies and ginger and serve.
- 1/2 cup Oil
- 1/2 kg Lamb/Mutton
- 1 tbsp Ginger, crushed
- 6 Long Green Chillies, slit
- 2 cups Tomato puree
- 2 tbsp Coriander powder
- 1 tbsp Red Chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tbsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Dried Fenugreek leaves, crushed
- Salt to taste
- In a wok, heat oil, add mutton and fry till its nice and brown.
- Add ginger, green chillies, tomato puree, coriander powder, red chilli powder, garam masala, cumin powder, turmeric powder, dried fenugreek leaves, salt, water and cook till its nicely done.
- Once the mutton is cooked, transfer to a bowl and garnish it with chillies and ginger.
- Our Mutton Lahori Karahi is ready.