This is a very soft, moist and delicious cake, it’s sweet and sour and it goes so well with a cup of tea or coffee. You are going to use the traditional way of making a pound cake by using the same amount of flour, sugar, and butter. You will also substitute part of the sugar with honey and by doing this you will give a better texture to your cake. Start by greasing the cake tin with butter then dust with flour, in a bowl sift flour and baking powder then add a pinch of salt and lemon zest.
Use a whisk to give everything a good mix then set it aside. In another bowl, add butter and sugar then using an electric hand mixer, beat the softened butter and sugar, remember your butter has to be at room temperature. Beat until the butter is fluffy and pale then start adding in the eggs one by one beating the batter after each addition. Your batter will start to become very smooth as you continue to beat it.
Add the honey, heavy cream and lemon juice, I recommend that you use good quality honey because it makes a whole lot of difference to taste and texture. Give everything a proper mix until well incorporated. You will then start adding the flour and switch to a spatula, folding the flour into the egg mixture, continue the process until the flour is well mixed into the batter and there are no lumps.
Try not to overmix that atter because you want the cake light. Pour the batter into the cake tin and use a spatula to gently spread the batter into the tin and bake at 180 degrees celsius for about 45 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare your syrup, in a saucepan, add lemon juice and icing sugar then using a fork to give everything a good stir. Once your cake is out of the oven, brush with the syrup while still warm, transfer the cake on a cooling rack and allow the cake to cool completely before serving.
Lemon Pound Cake;
- 150 g flour
- 150 g butter
- 120 g granulated sugar
- 30 g honey
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 lemon zest
- Lemon Syrup
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- Grease the loaf pan with butter and dust with a little flour all over the pan. Set aside.
- In a bowl, sift flour, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest. Whisk all the ingredients quickly. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, beat the butter and granulated sugar with an electric hand mixer. Butter has to be at room temperature. Beat until the butter becomes fluffy and pale
- Add 3 eggs one by one into the bowl and mix well. Add honey, heavy cream, and lemon juice beat everything until incorporated.
- Take a spatula, add the flour and dry ingredients into the mix twice, and gently fold them in. Then repeat with the remaining flour. Fold until you don’t see excess flour. (Don’t over mix the batter, we want it to be light.)
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Spread the batter evenly with a spatula. Bake in the oven at 180C/356F for about 45 minutes.
- For the syrup, add icing sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan and mix well.