If you are searching for an elegant birthday cake then you are going to love these berries and cream sponge cake. You are goung to have a moist tender cake that is irresistible when filled with cream and berries. In a small saucepan, add 6 tablespoons of butter and a cup of milk then heat that over low heat.
Crack 5 large eggs into the bowl of a stand mixer and to that add two cups of granulated sugar and two teaspoons of vanilla then cream that until light and airy. Sift in two cups of cake and pastry flour together with two teaspoons of baking powder and half a teaspoon of salt. Mix the dry ingredients in just until you cannot see any flour in the batter, this should take a few minutes and do not overbake the cake.
Bring the hot melted butter and milk and add it to the bowl with the cake batter and whisk that in with a spatula until it’s evenly combined and you have a smooth batter. For baking, you will need two 9 inch springform pans lined with parchment paper. Pour the batter in and bake in a 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 30 minutes.
This berries and cream cake is simple, all you need for the cream is whipped cream. Add 2 cups of whipped cream in the bowl of a stand mixer and whip it for a minute then add a cup of icing sugar and two tablespoons of skim milk powder then whip until fluffy. Bring the cooled sponge cake layers and add a good amount of the cream on the first layer and even it with a spatula then add fresh berries and add the next layer and frost the top of the layer too.
Finish the top with more berries and enjoy. This cake is so stunningly beautiful. This is the kind of birthday cake that you should make for a loved one on their next birthday.
- 1 cup (250 mL) Milk
- 6 Tbsp (90 g) unsalted butter
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups (400 g) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups (260 g) cake and pastry flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp fine salt
Whipped cream recipe;
- 2 cups (500 mL) whipping cream
- ½ cup (65 g) icing sugar, sifted
- 2 Tbsp (9 g) instant skim milk powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 3 to 4 cups (750 mL to 1 L) fresh mixed berries for toppings
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease two 9-inch (23 cm) round cake pans. Line the bottom of each pan with parchment paper and dust the sides with flour, tapping out any excess.
- Heat the milk and butter together over medium heat until the butter has melted. Keep this mixture warm over low heat while preparing the sponge.
- Using electric beaters or a stand mixer fitted with the whip attachment, whip the eggs, sugar and vanilla at high speed until the eggs are a pale butter-yellow colour and more than doubled in volume, about 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and salt together. Add all at once to the eggs and combine at low speed.
- Spoon about 1½ cups (375 mL) of the cake batter into a bowl and whisk in the hot milk. Add this mixture all at once to the rest of the batter and whisk in by hand.
- Pour the batter into the pans and bake for about 30 minutes until the cakes spring back when gently pressed. Cool the cakes in their pans on a cooling rack before removing to assemble.
- Place the first cake layer on a cake stand or platter and dollop half of the whipped cream frosting on top, spreading to level it. Top with about 1½ cups (375 mL) of the fresh fruit and gently rest the second cake layer on top. Spread the remaining frosting on top of the cake and arrange the remaining fruit on top. Chill the cake until ready to serve.
- The cake layers can be made a day ahead and stored, wrapped, at room temperature. The cake should be assembled the day it is served.