The crazy dough is one dough that you can make so many different pieces of bread from both sweet and savory. You can use this dough to make pizza, naan bread, even cinnamon rolls. Get started by mixing wet ingredients in a jug, pour in some lukewarm milk, make sure it is warm to help the yeast grow. Add in some sugar the dry yeats and whisk them together until the yeast has dissolved then set that aside. In a separate bowl, add in some yogurt and an egg then whisk them together until well combined. If you don’t eat eggs, you can leave them out and add a little more milk.
For the dry ingredients, add in flour in a bowl, then add salt for flavor, baking powder and then take a whisk and shimmy them together. Start combing both the wet and dry ingredients to make the dough, add in the yeast mix to the dry ingredients and te follow that with the yogurt. Using a spatula or a wooden spoon, bring all the dough together, if the dough is still dry, add in a little milk to wet the extra flour. Likewise, if you find your dough too sticky, add a little flour to make it a bit stiffer. You do not need a stand mixer or abread machine to make this dough. Once the dough is formed, cover it with a cling wrap and then tightly cover the top of the bowl, you don’t want any air to get in there.
Cover it with a nice clean tea towel to provide the warmth and help the dough rise. Set that aside and let it proof for at least two hours. Once the dough has doubled or tripled in size, it is ready for use. If you don’t want to use it straight away, you can pop it in the fridge for up to three days.
For making Naan, you can check the article; Easy and Delicious Flatbread.
- 1/2 cup ( 4floz/120ml) milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 3 1/3 cup (16 1/2 oz/500g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (6oz/180g) plain yogurt
- 1 whole egg
- In a small jug stir together the lukewarm milk, sugar, and yeast. Let stand for 15 minutes until yeast activates.
- It will become foamy and start expanding.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl combine the yogurt and the egg.
- Once the yeast has activated add the yeast mixture and yogurt-egg mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Using a fork stir everything together until it forms a loose, sticky dough.
- If the dough is too dry, add a little bit of milk or water. If it is too soft, add just a little bit of flour.
- Once all the ingredients are combined gently knead/ fold the dough together until it forms a rough ball.
- Cover the dough tightly with cling wrap and a tea towel and place in a warm spot to proof for 2 hours.
- Once the dough has risen it should be about double in size.
- From here you can take this crazy all-purpose dough and make it into any of the following things.
- Cheesy loaf, pizza, naan bread, savory stuffed roll, classic cinnamon rolls, pretzels, jalapeno & cheese stuffed and dinner rolls.
- Keep it in your fridge for up to 4 days. You can freeze it, too.