Flatbread making does not have to be a scary process or a long process, you can make an amzing flatbread using just a few ingredients that you already have in your kitchen and all in under ine hour. The most important ingredients in flatbread is the flour. You can use all purpose flour, plain flour whole wheat flour, chickpea flour or a glutenfree flour and it will work really well. So, place your flour in a bowl, add baking powder which is going to help the flatbread to rise and create those lovely little bubbles. Give the dry ingredients a mix, one of the reasons why this bread is so fast and easy is because it does not contain yeast, the baking powder is going to be the raising agent. The other ingredients we are going to add is the yogurt, you can use plain yogurt of greek yoghut.
One thing you want to make sure is not to use vanilla yogurt because that’s not going to taste good in this flatbread. Mix the ingredients using your hands, knead it until it is all together which will take just a few minutes. Gently flour your surface and turn out your dough, you can divide your dough into pieces depending on the size and the number of flatbread you want to make. With each piece of the cut dough, just roll it into a ball to make it easier to roll them into a circle. Onto a floured surface, place one of the balls rolled dough and using a rolling pin, roll them out and try to get around circle shape.
In a small bowl with garlic butter containing a little bit of crushed up garlic and some melted butter, brush the rolled dough quite generous all around. Place your non-stick frying pan on the heat and turn it to medium heat and let it come o temperature, not too hot where its smoking and not too low. Carefully take your flatbread dough and on the garlic butter side down, pace it onto the frying pan, let it cook for around 2 to 3 minutes on each side and prepare the remaining the same way. One really fun things about this flatbread are it bubbles up when you turn it over and it gets really lovely and airy. This is just an awesome flatbread.!
- 1 cup (8oz/225g) full fat natural plain yogurt
- 1 cup (5oz/142g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup (4oz/115g) butter
- 2-3 cloves garlic finely minced
- parsley roughly chopped
- 1 pinch salt to taste
- In a large bowl combine the flour and baking powder. Next, add in the yogurt and mix with a spatula until the yogurt has absorbed the flour.
- You will need to get in there with your hands to really bring the dough together.
- Depending upon where you live and what flour you use, you may not need all of the yogurt. Start with the initial quantity of flour and add yogurt until you get the same consistency. You may not need all the yogurt so it’s best to add it little by little.
- Once the dough is formed into a smooth ball, place it on a floured surface. Using a knife divide the dough into balls.
- Working with one ball of dough at a time, roll each one out to an 8 x 8 circle. Try to roll the dough as thin as possible as this will ensure the bread cooks evenly on both sides with a nice air bubbles in between.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. While the skillet is heating melt together the butter, minced garlic and salt in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
- Using a pastry brush, brush one side of the rolled dough with the garlic butter before placing it with the garlic side down into the hot skillet. Allow the bread to toast and bubble up cooking for about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Once the bread is nice and toasty on each side remove from the heat sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley or herbs of your choice
- Repeat this process until all flatbreads are cooked. Stack up on a plate or in a covered basket to keep warm.