These mint chocolate cupcakes are perfect finger chopped meat lovers. We start off with chocolate devils food cake, we’ve got some mint cream filling then we got some mint buttercream frosting on top and we finish off with a generous drizzle of chocolate and crushed mint candy. The first thing we are going to do is to pop all of the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl and mix them on low speed until everything is well combined. After the ingredients are combined, add softened butter and mix until you reach a fine crumby sound like texture.
While that is mixing, pop your milk into a large jug along with your eggs and whist that until they are well combined. Pour the wet ingredients st into the dry ingredients in slow and steady, continue adding while the mixer is on low speed. Once you’ve got them in the well combined, scoop the batter and place them into your cupcake liners and fill them to about three quarters then pop them in the oven for about 20 minutes.
After your cupcakes are baked, transfer them in a cooling rack and let them cool down completely before you frost them. While your cupcakes are baking and cooling, prepare your mint cream filling by adding a little bit of milk to icing sugar and some peppermint essence. Mix that up until it is well combined before you add your softened butter and mix that until everything is well mixed in.
You can also prepare your buttercream frosting y adding a little bit of green food dye and if you are feeling adventurous and you want to get a nice minty color, add a tiny little speck of blue, add your peppermint essence in there as well and mix it all until it is well combined.
You can also crush your peppermint candy and the easiest way to do this is to pop it in a ziplock bag and give is a good bash with a rolling pin. Once the cupcakes have cooled, remove part of the scale at the center with an apple cover then fill that up with that delicious mint cream filling. To frost these cupcakes in a swirl motion drizzle, some of that melted dark chocolate over the top and finish off with a sprinkle of crushed peppermint over the mint chocolate cupcakes.
- 50g cocoa powder
- 175g plain flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 225g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 175g unsalted butter softened
- 175ml milk
- 300g dark chocolate (melted)
- Peppermint candy (crushed)
Peppermint Cream Filling;
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter (room temp)
- 300g icing sugar
- 1 tsp peppermint essence
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- Fluffy Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- ½ tsp peppermint essence
- 3 drops green food dye (gel)
- Preheat your oven to 180C (356F) or 160C (320F) for a fan-forced oven. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the cocoa powder, plain flour, salt, bicarb soda, and sugar.
- Turn mixer on low speed and allow it to mix for a couple of minutes to help everything combine well.
- Add the softened butter and let it mix until it resembles a fine sand-like texture.
- Next, add milk and eggs in a jug and whisk well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients in a slow and steady stream until no dry ingredients are visible. Scrape down the bowl and mix for another 20 seconds.
- Bake for 20-25 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow them to cool completely on a wire cooling rack before frosting.
- While your cupcakes are baking and cooling prepare your peppermint cream filling by combining all ingredients in a mixing bowl until well combined.
- Place in a ziplock bag or squeeze bottle. Set aside.
- Prepare your buttercream frosting by adding it to a large mixing bowl along with the green food dye and peppermint essence.
- Mix until well combined.
- Core the center of your cupcakes and fill with peppermint cream filling.
- Drizzle with melted dark choc and place crushed peppermint candy on top.