This carrot eggless cake is packed with carrots and it’s insanely moist, delicately spiced and filled with tangy cream cheese frosting. The first thing you need to do is make the sponge. Start by greasing your pan and lining it with parchment paper then set it aside. In a bowl with all-purpose flour, add whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder and salt then mix all that up and set aside.
In another bowl, you will add sugar, plain yoghurt, milk olive oil or any other oil then you will beat that until you have a creamy mixture. Add in vanilla extract and mix it in then start adding the dry ingredients and mix until they are nearly combined then start adding your grated carrots and mix it in until they are uniformly distributed throughout the batter.
Transfer the batter into your baking pan and smooth it out evenly then bake into a preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes. Check the cake by inserting a toothpick in the centre. If it comes out clean then the cake is ready. Remove it from the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes in the pan. Then invert it on the wire rack to cool completely.
Meantime, to make the cream cheese frosting. Take butter and cream cheese in a bowl. Make sure that both are at room temperature. For that, remove them from the refrigerator and let them sit on the countertop for a few hours. They will soften to room temperature. Whisk both together for 1-2 minutes till it is smooth then sift the powdered sugar in it. Whisk it again till it is smooth, fluffy and shiny. You will feel its spreading consistency.
It will take about 3-4 minutes. You can use a stand mixer or hand mixer, add vanilla extract then mix it well and the frosting is ready. Before frosting make sure that the cake is cooled completely, otherwise, the frosting will start to melt. Spread the frosting with a spatula on the top. But if you want you can cover the sides as well.
- 1 ½ cups (345 gr) granulated sugar
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups (300 gr) self-rising flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups shredded carrots (5 – 6 medium carrots)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts
Cream Cheese Glaze;
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- Pinch of salt
- 3 – 4 tablespoons milk
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and lightly flour the bottom and sides of a bundt pan, a 13×9-inch rectangular pan or two 8-inch or 9-inch round. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat granulated sugar, oil, buttermilk, vinegar, and vanilla with an electric mixer on low speed until blended, about 2 minutes.
- Add flour, cinnamon, and baking soda; beat on low speed until just incorporated. Stir in carrots, nuts, and raisins, if using; mix to combine. Pour batter into pan(s).
- Bake bundt cake for 40 -45 minutes, or 13×9-inch pan for 40 to 45 minutes, round pans for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool the cake on a cooling rack for 10 minutes. remove from pans and cool completely.
- Prepare the glaze: In a small bowl, mix together cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, salt, and milk until smooth.
- Pour glaze over cooled cake, and sprinkle with more pecans, if desired.