Lemon zest and syrup give these refreshing lemon muffins loads of flavor, and sour cream gives them a wonderful, delicate texture. You don’t need a mixer to make these muffins. They are made by using the muffin method, which means mixing the dry ingredients in one bowl, the liquids in another bowl and then combine the two together.
To make them even prettier and yummier, make an easy sticky lemon glaze or top with powdered sugar. Mix powdered sugar and a bit lemon juice together, then drizzle the glaze on top of the muffins and it will give them a nice lemony-sugary crust. Start by mixing butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer.
After both the butter and sugar are well mixed, start adding eggs one at a time while beating the mixture after each egg until they are well combined. Add baking powder and salt in your flour and mix that well then pour the flour to the butter mixture in the bowl then begin to fold the mixture with a spatula before using the mixer.
Add in milk to the flour mixture followed by lemon juice then use the hand mixer to bring the batter together. Add in lemon zest and mix that one more time before scooping the batter and placing them on the cupcake liners. Bake the lemon muffins for about 25 minutes.
Squeeze lemon juice from a lemon then pour that into half a cup of icing sugar and mix them together in a small bowl. Add the lemon juice in bits so that you do not have a runny lemon glaze. Once the muffins are baked, let them cool completely before glazing them.
- 1 3/4 cups (210grams/7.4Oz) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (150 grams/5.3Oz) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 8 ounces ( 1 cup/240ml) sour cream
- 6 tablespoons (85 grams/ 3Oz) butter (melted)
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
For the Topping;
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Heat the oven to 375 F. Grease 12 muffin cups or spray with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup of granulated sugar, the baking powder and soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, combine sour cream with the egg, melted butter, lemon zest, and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
- Blend the sour cream mixture into the dry ingredients just until blended and all ingredients are moistened.
- Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full. Bake for 18 minutes, or until browned and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of a muffin.
- Cool in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes. Remove the muffins to a rack.
- Place foil or a pan under the rack to catch drips. Poke each muffin several times with a toothpick.
- Meanwhile, bring the 1/3 cup of lemon juice and 1/4 cup of sugar to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Cook, stirring until sugar is completely dissolved. Using a spoon, drizzle a little of the juice mixture over each muffin.