These caramel popcorns are sweet, salty and crunchy. They are deeply caramelized and utterly addictive snack can be tossed with peanuts or mixed nuts if desired. Thee are the type of popcorns that you need when you are binge-watching your favorite series and need no distraction from the outside world. They are sweet and crunchy popcorns, so to start preparing this sweet simple home treat, you are going to need oil, butter, brown sugar, just to name a few. To make the caramel popcorns, we start by preparing the basic popcorns by placing a large vessel with some oil then add the popcorns kernels once the oil is heated up.
Make sure the popcorns kernels are nicely soaked in the oil, otherwise they will start to burn after they are cooked. Now, cover it with a lid making sure that the pan has a secured fitting lid. Heat the pan over medium to high heat and wait for the popcorn kernels to pop. When the popping slows down, nearly all the popcorn kernels will be almost done. After they are done, remove the lid and transfer the popcorns to a large bowl and allow them to cool. Melt butter in a pan then stirs in brown sugar. Brown sugar gives a nice caramel color to the popcorns. Keep stirring it and let it melt nicely, this will take around 3 to 4 minutes.
Once it has nicely melted and caramelized, add salt and condensed milk then keep stirring it vigorously to form a caramel out of it. Do this on low to medium-high heat because you don’t want the caramel to burn and we also don’t want it to thicken up. Remove the pan from the heat and vanilla and baking soda to it. Baking soda is added because it gives a light texture to the caramel sauce and once they are coated to the popcorn, it gives them a light and crunchy texture to it. Now, in the caramel sauce, add in the popcorns and stir slowly with the help of a spatula until they are nicely coated with it.
Keep mixing them until they are well coated with the caramel sauce on all sides. Once done, place the caramelized popcorns on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and spread them apart, put it in a 100 degrees preheated the oven and bake them for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, the caramel popcorns will be done and ready.!
- 3 – 4 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 pinches baking soda
- In a large vessel, add the sunflower oil and prepare the basic popcorn. Cover it with a lid and wait for the popcorn kernels to pop.
- Transfer the popcorn to a large bowl and let them cool down slightly.
- In a wok, melt some butter and then stir in some brown sugar. Keep stirring and let it melt completely.
- Then add the salt and condensed milk and keep stirring continuously to form a caramel.
- Once the caramel is ready, get it off the flame and add the vanilla extract and baking soda to it.
- Add the popcorn to the caramel sauce and keep mixing them using a spatula. Do it until all the popcorn is coated well with the sauce.
- Once coated well, transfer them onto a large baking tray lined with butter paper and spread them out evenly.
- Then put it in the oven which is preheated at 100 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes. Bake them at 100 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes.
- The delicious homemade caramel popcorn s ready t be served.