The taste of sweet yogurt is very different from sweet curd and you start with boiling the milk. The Bengalis are famous for their sweet preparations and Mishti Doi is among their most well-known desserts. Mishti Doi tastes great but is amazingly simple to make! Boil the milk on a medium flame and whet it starts to bubble keep stirring to prevent the milk from burning.
Let the milk boil until it remains half of the quantity you poured in the pot, that way, the milk will be quite thicker, remove it from the heat then add sugar and cardamom powder. In a heavy bottom saucepan, add sugar and place it over medium heat then stir the sugar until it starts to melt.
It is very important to keep stirring at this point to make sure all the sugar is completely melted and to prevent it from burning. Once all the sugar is melted, remove the caramelized sugar from the flame then you will start adding the caramelized sugar to the milk while stirring the milk thoroughly.
Once well mixed, let the milk cool down until lukewarm then pour the milk into a container or bowl and you are going to add two tablespoons of curd to it and mix well then cover and keep in a warm dark spot for the Mishti Doi to set. The best taste results are achieved by setting the Mishti Doi in an earthenware pot.
- Full cream milk – 1 liter
- Cardamom – 4
- Curd – 3-4 tbsp
- Sugar – 100 grams (½ cup)
- Boil some milk in a vessel and once it starts simmering, decrease the flame to medium and simmer until it remains half of its quantity.
- Stir occasionally as the milk reduces, turn off the flame, and thoroughly mix the half the amount of sugar and cardamom in it.
- Now take the remaining sugar in a heavy-based vessel and place it on the flame. Keep stirring continuously until the sugar gets caramelized. Later, add this caramelized sugar in the milk and mix it properly.
- Pour the milk in a container and let it cool down slightly for easy handling. Afterward, add 2 tsp of curd to the milk in each container and mix nicely.
- Keep the container in a warm place for 10 to 12 hours so that they set well for 10 to 12 hours, and the sweet yogurt will be ready to eat.
- Serve this mouth-watering yogurt as a dessert after any meal or have it whenever you crave for something sweet.