This wonderful recipe of buttery sugar buns uses a flour-water mixture dough which you will prepare the night before. It yields an amazingly soft bread that pulls apart very nicely. First, the overnight dough. So the day before you plan to bake, stir together flour and boiling water until it forms a paste. Shape it into a ball and wrap it in plastic. Refrigerate overnight. The next day, proof the yeast in warm water in a small bowl. Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl: the milk powder, the flour, the sugar, and the salt. Whisk them together well.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and to that well, pour the yeast mixture. Stir it to the rest of the ingredients. Add the egg and keep stirring to incorporate. Add the overnight dough.
- 355 g Bread Flour
- 168 g Water
- 1 1/8 tsp Instant Dry Yeast
- 2 1/2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Milk Powder
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1 Egg
- 33 g Butter
- 65 g Milk
- 30 g Salted Butter
- 30 g Brown Sugar
- In a saucepan, combine Bread Flour and Water. Mix with whisk or spatula until there are no lumps. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring consistently until the mixture becomes thicker.
- Once you see some lines appear, it is ready. Remove from heat and transfer to a clean bowl to let it cool.
- Whisk the Egg. Set aside 45 grams for the dough. Set aside 10 grams, whisked with 1 teaspoon of water to make an egg wash.
- Into the bowl of stand mixer, add Salt, Bread Flour, Instant Dry Yeast, Brown Sugar, Milk Powder, Butter, 45 grams of whisked egg,
- Using the dough hook, knead until the dough comes together and is beginning to become elastic and tacky but not sticky around 10-15 minutes.
- Place dough in a large greased bowl, covered with cling film or a kitchen towel. Let it rise in a warm place for 1 hour, or until double in size.
- Punch down the dough to release the air. Transfer the dough to a clean floured surface and divide into 12 equal portions. Shape each dough into a ball.
- Flatten the dough and shape it into an oval shape. Place the buns in baking pans lined with parchment paper. Let rise for another 50 minutes, or until double in size.
- Slit center of the bun with a scissor. Brush with egg wash. Place the Salted Butter onto the slit and top with Sea Salt and Brown Sugar.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and transfer onto a wire rack to cool.