This vanilla swiss roll is made with whipped cream filling and is an extremely delicious roll cake that you will want to make again and again. For this recipe; remember to sift your flour at least 5 times or as many times as you can so that you may get the lightest cake ever. Do not overbake your cake. An over-baked cake roll will break while rolling! Bake it only until done, this step is undoubtedly the most important step for a perfect Cake roll recipe.
Beat your eggs & sugar until pale, light & fluffy. Roll the Swiss roll when warm & you may use a parchment paper to help you roll it. That meringue, or the beaten egg whites, will be folded into a batter made of yolks, sugar, oil, water, flour and baking powder. Once the colour of the batters has been blended and uniform, the batter is ready for baking.
So in a 15×10 inch baking pan, it goes. The pan must be greased beforehand and then lined with parchment paper. A final greasing on the parchment is necessary too so the cake peels off easily after baking.
Bake the cake for 8-10 minutes at 350 F, or until a toothpick inserted at the centre of the cake comes out clean. Place the cake (including the baking pan) on a wire rack just to slightly let it cool.
Now cut a parchment paper that is slightly larger than the baking pan. Lay it on a surface and generously dust it with powdered sugar.
Turn the cake over onto the parchment paper. Then remove the baking pan and gently peel off the parchment paper. Let the cake cool completely while covered with an overturned baking pan to prevent it from drying up. Spread the whipped cream on the cake then roll the cake again. Dust with powdered sugar then slice and serve.
- 140 gms All-Purpose Flour
- 120 gms Powdered Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2.5 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1.5 tbsp Cornstarch (For dusting the Sponge)
- 4 large Eggs (at room temperature)
For the Filling;
- 250 gms Heavy Whipping Cream (Chilled or 1 cup)
- 3 tbsp Powdered Sugar
- 2.5 tsp Vanilla
- Begin by sifting the flour at least 5 times. This will yield a very light cake. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs, sugar & the vanilla until pale & fluffy. It should take you some 8-10 mins.
- Add the baking powder with the sifted flour & sift more 2 times or mix with a hand whisk.
- Add the dry ingredients (flour + baking powder) to the beaten eggs. Beat until just mixed or fold with a rubber spatula. Be careful not to knock off the air. Do not overbeat if using a beater.
- Line a 17 x 11-inch cookie pan with parchment paper and grease it well with either oil or butter. Do not Over grease otherwise the cake batter will slide & not stay in place.
- Pour the cake batter and spread evenly with a rubber spatula. It’s a small amount of batter hence requires little patience to spread evenly.
- Preheat the oven at 355 F or 180 C and bake the sponge cake in the middle rack for 8-10 mins. The time may vary according to your oven so it’s advisable to check the cake at the 8 mins mark.
- Do the toothpick test. Insert in the sponge, if it comes out clean that means the cake is baked right. The sponge should be springy to the touch when baked right & light golden in colour.
- Allow the cake to cool down a bit. When the sponge is still warm to the touch loosed its ends with the help of an offset spatula and gently pull off the parchment paper. Be very careful because its a thin sponge & very fragile.
- Sprinkle the cornstarch on the top the sponge cake & roll it lightly when still warm to the touch. The cornstarch will prevent the cake from sticking.
- This should be the sponge cakes first roll. It holds shape very well when rolled without the filling and kept that way for 20-30 mins.
- Let’s make the whipped cream now.
How to make the filling;
- Place the bowl and the beater hands in the freezer for 30 mins. They should be chilled before beating the whipped cream.
- Add the freezer cold heavy whipping cream, sugar & vanilla into the chilled bowl & beat until stiff peaks form.
- It should take you approximately 10 mins.
Filling the Swiss Roll Cake;
- Chop some fresh strawberries & set aside for the filling.
- Un-roll the sponge cake & fill it up with the whipped cream filling. Spread the cream evenly with the help of an offset spatula.
- Throw the chopped strawberries. And re-roll the sponge tightly but gently.
- Wrap it up with a cling film and store in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before slicing & serving.
- You may sprinkle powdered sugar on top of the Swiss roll before slicing & decorate the roll with more whipped cream + whole strawberries.
- For best flavors serve at room temperature.