This is a light and airy yoghurt sponge cake full of amazing flavor and just the right amount of sweetness. You only need a few basic ingredients for this easy yoghurt cake. Start by brushing a 9-inch baking pan with oil then add about a tablespoon of flour to the pan and tap it around so the flour completely coats the pan, shake off the excess flour then set the pan aside.
In a large mixing bowl, add sugar, oil, plain yoghurt and a teaspoon of vanilla extract then mix everything to combine. Add in sifted one and a half cups of flour, baking powder, salt and freshly grated nutmeg. Mix everything together until just combined, you do not want to overmix the batter so once all the dry ingredients are moistened, stop mixing. Add in 3 eggs one at a time and mix to combine very well after each addition.
The batter is going to be very light and that is okay so don’t be worried if your is thin. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and level the top and gently tap the pan on your counter so that air bubbles can escape. Bake the cake in a 350 degrees Fahrenheit preheated oven for 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let the cake cool down for about 10 minutes then invert onto a wire rack and let it cool down, slice and enjoy. This yoghurt cake is to die for, it’s so light and airy and the flavor is amazing. You have to try this recipe, it’s so good.
- ¾ cup (150 grams/ 5.3Oz)granulated sugar
- 1 cup (250 grams/ 8.8Oz)plain yoghurt or plain Greek yoghurt
- ½ cup oil (125 ml) any neutral-tasting oil.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups (180 grams/ 6.3Oz) flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 large eggs
- Grease a 9-inch cake pan or loaf pan and preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together 1 cup of plain yoghurt, ½ cup of oil, ¾ cup of sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Add in one and a half cups of flour, one and a half teaspoons of baking powder, ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon nutmeg then mix everything together until just combined. If you are using a stand mixer be careful not to overmix the batter.
- Add 3 eggs one at a time, whisking every time you add an egg to incorporate it into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan then bake in a preheated oven for 35 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool then remove from pan, slice and serve.