This cake has been my family’s favourite for many years. You can serve the oranges with orange icing. Start by lining the cupcake liners in a muffin pan and set them aside. Take the zest off of two oranges making sure you do not zest the white part of the orange. Set the zest aside. Add half a cup of softened butter into the bowl of a stand mixer and cream that up for a couple of seconds then to that add three-quarters cups of sugar.
Once the sugar gets nicely mixed up, add the orange zest and mix it on medium to medium-high speed for about two minutes till it gets nice and fluffy. Get two eggs ready in a small bowl and set them aside. Measure one and half a cup of flour in a bowl and add a teaspoon of baking powder, half a teaspoon of baking soda and half a teaspoon of salt then give them a whisk.
Squeeze half a cup of fresh orange juice into a cup out of the oranges that you zested. Into your mixer, add the eggs one at a time, make sure it incorporates before you add the second then add half a cup of sour cream, this will help keep the cake nice and moist. Add the orange juice and mix it for a minute then add the dry ingredients and start mixing at low speed until the cake batter is nice and smooth with no lumps.
Scoop the batter into the prepared cupcake liners about three-quarters way full. Bake them in a preheated 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven (180C) for about 18 to 20 minutes. Once baked, they should be lightly browned at the top and a toothpick inserted in any of them should come out with a few moist crumbs. Let them sit on a cooling rack for about 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, you can glaze them, or dust them with powdered sugar and serve. These cupcakes are very tender and buttery, it’s wonderful.
- 1/2 cup (227grams/4 Oz) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (150grams/ 5.3Oz) sugar
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup (120ml) sour cream (non-fat, light or regular)
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1-1/2 cup (204grams/7.2Oz) ﬂour
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- Cream the butter, sugar and orange zest on medium speed for 2 minutes, until light and ﬂuffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time. Then add the sour cream and orange juice.
- Mix the ﬂour, baking powder, salt and baking soda together in a small bowl.
- Stop the mixer and add the dry ingredients. Mix until well combined.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared mufﬁn pans. Bake for 18 minutes. Let cupcakes sit in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to rack to cool completely.
- Glaze or dust with powdered sugar and serve. Enjoy.