These vanilla muffins have a cakey taste and texture. They are made with both butter and milk so they have both the soft and fluffy texture. To start, add vanilla extract to the jar with the buttermilk and set that aside then break two-room temparature eggs in a bowl and to that, add oil and whisk it to combine then set that aside.
For the dry ingredients, add cake flour in a bowl of a stand mixer, to that added sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Put the paddle attachment then add butter to the flour and mix it on low speed until it looks like coarse sand then adds the buttermilk and vanilla mixture and continue mixing on medium speed for about 2 minutes. With the mixture on low speed, add oil and eggs mixture in three batches and mix well after each addition.
Continue mixing and remember to scrape the sides of the bowl so that you can get to the flour in the bottom of the bowl. Mix until incorporated and you cannot see any flour in the batter. You will need muffin tins for this recipe, line them with cupcake liners or lightly butter and flour the pans then pour the batter in the prepared pans.
Fill about three-quarters full of each muffin cups then bake in 350 degrees Fahrenheit preheated oven for 16 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let these muffins cool before serving them, you can also frost them with vanilla buttercream and enjoy them.
- 10 oz (284 g) cake flour
- 9 oz (255 g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp (1/2 tsp) salt
- 2 tsp (2 tsp) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1/4 tsp) baking soda
- 2 large (2 large) eggs room temperature
- 4 oz (114 g) vegetable oil
- 5 oz (142 g) buttermilk room temperature or slightly warm
- 4 oz (114 g) butter unsalted and softened
- 2 tsp (2 tsp) vanilla
- Heat the oven to 350º F
- Prepare your cupcake pan with cupcake liners
- Combine the buttermilk and vanilla and set aside
- Combine the oil and eggs. Whisk to break up the eggs. Set aside.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Mix on low to combine until the mixture resembles coarse sand.
- Add in your milk mixture and let mix until dry ingredients are moistened and then increase the speed to medium and let mix for about 2 minutes to develop the cupcake’s structure. If you don’t let your cake mix on this step your cake could collapse.
- Scrape your bowl and then reduce speed to low then add in your egg mixture in three batches, letting the batter mix for 15 seconds between additions.
- Scrape down the sides again to make sure everything has incorporated the pour into prepared cupcake liners 2/3 full or 1.5oz batter per cupcake.
- Bake 16-20 minutes until the muffins are golden brown and the centre bounces back when you touch it. Rotate the pan halfway through baking.
- Let cupcakes cool fully before frosting.