Bombay potatoes are prepared using boiled cubed potatoes, flavored with various spices such as cumin, coriander, garam masala, turmeric, chili powder, and salt. These Spicy Bombay Potatoes can double up as an appetizer or as a side dish.
You need baby potatoes, spices, ghee/oil, and some cilantro. When making Bombay Potatoes on the stovetop, first boil the baby potatoes. You want them to be just tender, do not overcook.
Then in a pan, heat oil and add cumin seeds. Reduce heat and add the spices. Sauté them for 30 seconds, be careful to not burn them. Add 2-3 tablespoons of water and the potatoes.
Mix well so the spices coat over the potatoes. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. The water will evaporate and the spices will coat the potatoes. Bombay potatoes are ready to be served.
- Salt, to taste
- 3 large potatoes (around 900g in total), halved
- 15g root ginger peeled weight
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 large-ish tomatoes, one quartered, the other cut into slim wedges
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- ¾ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2/3 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½-¾ tsp chili powder
- Large handful of chopped coriander leaves
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil and salt it well. Place in the potatoes and boil until just tender (up to 30 minutes). When cool enough to handle, peel and chop into 2.5cm cubes.
- Blend together the ginger, garlic and quartered tomato until smooth.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Add the cumin and mustard seeds and, once the cumin starts to darken, add the onion.
- Cook for a minute before adding the ginger and garlic mixture, the ground spices and salt. Sauté gently for one to two minutes or until the garlic smells cooked. If you are not sure, taste; it should seem harmonious.
- Add the tomato wedges, stir well and cook for three to four minutes.
- Tip in the potatoes and cook for three to five minutes to absorb the flavors. Check the seasoning, stir in the chopped coriander and serve.