They are simple to make, eggless, buttery shortbread cookies made with just 3 ingredients. Sometimes, it’s the simple cookies that yield you the best results and these are fantastic, crumbly and buttery. These simple cookies are easy for beginners or when you just need a quick bite with a few available ingredients in your kitchen. In a large bowl, add in some room-temperature butter and some icing sugar.
Cream those two ingredients well, the main tip about this recipe is making sure your butter is at room temperature so it creams really easily with the sugar. You can use an electric hand mixer or you can just make it by hand, you may just need more time in mixing. When using an electric mixer, it will take about a minute to cream together then you will add in your all-purpose flour.
Take your mixer or spatula and just mix in the flour, remember you don’t want to beat this batter too much or it will make your cookies tough so just beat until combined. Your batter will be a little soft and crumbly and that is how its suppose to look like because you are goung to use your hands to bring it together on some cling wrap. Get a nice big cling wrap and take your cookie dough then turn it out into the cling wrap.
Once it’s all there, nice and even, you will squeeze it to form a log or something that kind of looks like a long sausage. This is because the dough is still so soft and not ready to bake yet. Once you have rolled it in the cling film, you will pop it in the fridge until it firms up then it will be ready to bake. Unwrap the wrap then cut into slices around three-quarters of an inch thick.
Place the sliced cookie dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, if you want to give them a little bit of shape with your fingers you may do so at this point. Balke in a preheated 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven or 180 degrees Celcius for roughly 15 minutes until they are golden brown. Once they are out of the oven, they will smell amazing, let them cool for a few minutes then you cann have a taste and enjoy.
- 6 oz. (3/4 cup) butter, room temp.
- 3.5 oz. (1/2 cup) superfine sugar
- 9 oz. (2 1/4 cups) all-purpose flour
- With a paddle attachment, beat together butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add all of the flour in one go and let it mix until mixture resembles a crumb texture. (You can also do this step by hand. Rub the flour into butter and sugar until crumb-like.)
- Dump cookie mixture onto a clean surface and continue by hand.
- Lightly knead and work the crumbs until it forms a dough.
- Shape the dough into a log or sausage shape.
- Sprinkle raw sugar onto wax paper and roll the dough in it. After the dough is coated with sugar, transfer it onto plastic wrap and set it in the fridge or freezer to firm for about 30 minutes.
- Slice the dough into around three-quarters of an inch thick and place on cookie sheet.
- Preheat oven to 350F and bake for 15 minutes or until lightly golden.