This classic is so easy to make and beyond delicious, it is perfect for Mothers Day and the great thing about this recipe is that it does not require any fancy equipment. If you are making a last-minute stop to the grocery store you can pick a couple of ingredients and make this fabulous strawberry shortcake. Line your cake pan with parchment paper and preheat your oven to 170 degrees Celcius which is 338 degrees Fahrenheit. In a bowl, beat two room temperature eggs then add the sugar, and continue to mix well then place the bowl over another bowl of hot water and continue to beat until the sugar is melted in the mixture.
Using a hand mixer, beat the egg and sugar mixture on high speed until fluffy and smooth then beat on low speed for a minute to set the texture. Sift in cake flour into the mixture little by a little while gently mixing it in with a wire whisk. Add in melted butter and fold it ion to mix then pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and drop the pan on a counter to remove any trapped air in the batter.
Bake for about 25 minutes at 70 degrees Celcius preheated oven. Let the cake cool on a counter before inverting it and removing the cake onto a wire rack to cool off completely. Once cooled, wrap the cake with aplastic wrap and place the cake in the fridge to cool for around two hours or when saving for special occasions up to two or three days. For the syrup, mi sugar, and hot water until dissolved then add in rum and mix it in.
To decorate the cake, cut strawberries into halves then add sugar and fresh cream into a large bowl together with vanilla extract and rum then mix well. Whisk the cream until it forms a soft peak. Take the cake out of the fridge and slice it into two layers then gently brush the top of the cake within the syrup and coat the surface of the cake with cream and place the strawberry halves on top then coat again with cream.
Brush the other cake layer with syrup then place on top and top it with cream and garnish with strawberries. Serve the cake and serve it for a y occasion and since Mother’s day is just a few days ahead, you can make this for your mum and enjoy it.
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 60g (2.1oz.) granulated sugar
- 60g (2.1oz.) cake flour
- 20g (0.7oz.) melted unsalted butter
- 20ml hot water
- 1/2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. rum *kirsch, brandy, or any kind of liquor you like
- Fresh strawberries
- 300ml fresh cream (heavy whipping cream)
- 1&1/2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- A few drops vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. rum, brandy, or any kind of liquor you like
- Line the round cake pan with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 170C (338F).
- Beat eggs with wire whisk in a metal bowl. Mix sugar and place it over a bowl of hot water and melt the sugar and warm them up to body temperature.
- Remove from the hot water and beat the butter on high speed with an electric mixer until white and fluffy. Then on low speed, beat for about a minute to set the texture.
- Sift in flour little by little and gently cut through the mixture with wire whisk until somewhat combined. Then using a spatula, sprinkle melted butter, and quickly lift up the batter to mix.
- Pour the batter from heights of 11 inches (30 cm) into the pan (like a ribbon) and drop the pan lightly on the counter to raise the air bubbles out of the batter.
- Bake at 170C (338F) for 25 minutes.
- Place a cutting board and a paper towel on a wire rack. Then place the cake pan upside down and cool with the pan on top.
- When it’s completely cool, wrap with plastic wrap and rest the sponge cake in the fridge for a few hours. You can store it in the fridge for 2 to 3 days and decorate the cake when needed.
- Mix granulated sugar and hot water until dissolved. Then mix rum (if you like).
- Combine fresh cream, granulated sugar, vanilla extract, and rum (if you like) in a dry, clean bowl. Float the bottom of the bowl in ice water, whisk the cream until it forms a soft peak.
- Slice the sponge cake crosswise into 2 layers. Gently brush the sponge cake with syrup (brush all the surfaces which will be coated with cream).
- Place one layer of the sponge cake on a plate. Coat the surface of the sponge cake evenly with the cream. Place cut strawberries over the creamed surface.
- Then coat again with the cream. Place another layer of sponge cake, and frost top and side with the cream. Garnish with strawberries.
- Rest the cake in the fridge for 1 or 2 hours before you serve. In this way, you can easily cut the cake.