This absolutely delicious cake can be made in two ways. The first is baking the cake in any type of baking tin then serve it plain dusted with powdered sugar. The second is baking this cake in two 8-inch round cake pans then frost them with cream frosting to make a raspberry layer cake.
In a mixing bowl, sift cake flour together with baking powder and salt then set it aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer cream together butter and sugar, mix that on high speed for about 2 minutes until the mixture becomes lighter in colour. Add in three eggs and mix it in on medium speed for about a minute then add a quarter cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice together with a tablespoon of lemon zest, vanilla extract and vegetable oil.
Add about half of the sifted dry mixture and mix it in on low speed until moistened then add the remaining half and mix it in until the batter is smooth with no lumps. Add a three-quarters cup of room temperature sour cream and fold it in the add-in the raspberries and gently fold them in. You can make three 6-inch cake, two 8-inch layer or bake in a square or rectangle pan if you don’t want to make it as a layer cake.
Pour the batter in a parchment layered cake pan and bake in a 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. If you are making a layer cake, prepare a lemon cream cheese frosting. Once the cake is baked and out of the oven, let it cool before frosting or serve it plain with a cup of milk or coffee. Enjoy.
- 2 cups + 2 Tbsp (276 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (400 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp (6 grams) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt (3 grams)
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (150 grams) – 1 and 1/3 sticks
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup (170 grams) Sour cream, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste (4 grams)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) of fresh lemon juice – about 3 small lemons
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon zest
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- Mix together all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Use a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or hand mixer to mix on a low speed until combined.
- Mix in unsalted butter slowly into the dry mix, on a medium-low speed. Continue to mix until no large chunks of butter remain and the mixture becomes crumbly.
- Add 3 eggs and mix on low until just incorporated and the batter looks wet.
- Mix in sour cream, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, fresh lemon juice, and lemon zest on a low speed then add a cup of fresh raspberries and gently fold them in.
- Pour the batter in the prepared cake pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Allow the pans to cool for 10 minutes, then run a small offset spatula around perimeter of the pan to separate the cake from the pan.