This is a really easy orange cake to bake with simple ingredients. In a mixing bowl add softened butter together with granulated s8ihgar then cream those together until very soft and fluffy. Add in sour cream which is the main ingredient in this orange cake, it makes the cake really moist and adds a nice flavour to it.
Also, add in three eggs then beat those added ingredients in until they are well blended with the butter. Add freshly squeezed orange juice and orange zest which will intensify the orange flavour in the cake. whisk them all together until the orange is well mixed in the batter. To make sure you do not overmix the butter, switch to a spatula then sift in the dry ingredients that is flour, baking powder and salt.
Stir in the flour with the spatula until it’s all nice and combined. For baking, you can use a 5 by 9 bread loaf pan greased and lightly floured or use an 8-inch round baking pan. Pour in the batter in your prepared pan and bake the cake in the middle rack of 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven and bake it for 45 minutes up to an hour or until when you poke it with a skewer it comes out clean.
Let the cake cool for about 15 minutes in the pan before inverting it on a wire rack to cool completely. To serve, dust the top with powdered sugar or glaze the cake and serve.
- 3/4 cup (170g) softened to room temparature butter
- 1 cup (200g) white granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (61g) sour cream optional
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. (2 to 5ml) of orange extract optional
- 1/2 cup orange juice 118ml
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. to 2 Tbsp. orange zest 9 to 12g
- 1 1/2 cups (192g) of cake or all-purpose/plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. (6g) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. (2g) table salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/176 C.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar with a mixer. Add the eggs and sour cream and blend those in.
- Add the orange juice, orange extract, and orange zest and blend those in. Put the mixer away.
- Sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder into the batter. Do half of it first, then stir and fold the dry ingredients into the batter.
- Then add the rest. You can also whisk the dry ingredients in a bowl first if you don’t have a sifter. The orange cake batter will be complete.
- Grease a 5×9 inch bread pan or a round cake pan with butter or shortening, and then flour it. Pour the cake batter into the pan. Bake the cake for 45 to 60 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
- After the cake comes out of the oven allow it to cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Then remove it from the pan and allow it to cool completely on a wire rack. Cut and serve the cake or drizzle a glaze on top.