This is a simple vanilla sponge cake perfect for homemade baking, it has a soft and delicious crumb with a perfect hint of sweetness and vanilla. You can use it for a different purpose. Whip the eggs in a stand mixer on high speed for about 1 minute, then add in powdered sugar, you can also prepare this recipe on a big bowl.
While the eggs are whipping sift the 1 cup all-purpose flour and a tablespoon of baking powder, combine the melted butter and hot water in a cup and whisk together to mix. Whip the eggs and sugar for about 15-20 minutes or until the batter ribbon falling off the whisk doesn’t disappear for about 2-3 seconds. You want to make sure the eggs are properly whipped before continuing with the next steps for the successful rise of the cake in the oven then add one tablespoon of vanilla extract.
Add the flour into the whipped eggs in halves, carefully folding with a spatula forming the number 8 with each stroke. Do not overfold or the cake will be tough. Just fold enough to incorporate the flour. Add the melted butter mixture into the batter and carefully fold with a spatula until no streaks of liquid are seen.
Pour the batter into a round cake pan and bake for about 30 minutes on the middle rack of preheated to 350 Fahrenheit or 180 degrees oven. Check the cake with a toothpick/skewer by inserting it in the middle. If it comes out clean with no crumbs on it, the cake is ready to be removed from the oven.
Remove the cake to a cooling rack and allow it to sit undisturbed for 5-10 minutes. Then invert it onto a cooling rack allow to completely cool before using.
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup flour (250g) plus 2 more teaspoons for dusting pan
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Brush a 9-inch round baking pan with 1 teaspoon of oil. Put in about 2 teaspoons of flour and dust around the pan.
- Separate egg yolks from egg whites. Beat egg whites with an electric mixer until they form a soft peak. This takes about 2 minutes.
- Gradually add sugar and beat together with the egg whites until they form a stiff peak. This takes about 2 more minutes.
- Add the egg yolks to the beaten egg whites. Add vanilla extract then whisk in gently with a whisk until just combined.
- Sieve in the flour, baking soda and salt, a little at a time and gently whisking them in each time you sieve them in. Mix in the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Use a spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl, being careful to mix in any flour you see. Pour the batter into a prepared cake pan being sure to clean the batter off the bowl using the spatula.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.