These shortbread cookies are simply the best around. Your house will smell incredible. These cookies are great with a glass of milk in the morning. This simple recipe for classic shortbread cookies calls for only 3 ingredients and you get to have the most delectable, buttery and sweet shortbread cookie you’ll ever have in your life. We’re talking butter, sugar, and flour, that’s all.
You can also use this as the base for any recipe that calls for shortbread. You can roll them out with powdered sugar, though, since additional flour can make them too dense.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepares two large baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
- Add flour and continue to mix until mixture forms a soft dough (it will be crumbly at first, but keep mixing and it will form a dough). Form dough into a cohesive ball with your hands.
- Roll dough 1/4-inch thick on a surface dusted with flour or powdered sugar with a well-dusted rolling pin. Cut into rounds and place on prepared baking sheets. Repeat as necessary.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until cookies are pale golden brown. Let cool on baking sheets.