This cake is going to fill your kitchen with a beautiful lemon flavor. The cake is easy to bake, bakes beautifully golden brown and served plain or with a lemon glaze. Start by preheating your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and grease your pound cake baking pan. You can use a tube pan or a rectangle baking pan.
In a large mixing bowl, add granulated sugar and butter then cream together until nice and fluffy. Take 6 eggs and break them in a separate bowl just to make sure no shell gets in then drop the eggs one by one in the butter and sugar mix. Beat each egg until well incorporated before adding the next, beat them until light fluffy and creamy.
Sift 3 cups of all-purpose flour and one packet of instant lemon pudding mix, salt and a quarter of a teaspoon of baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and add vanilla extract and sour cream. With a spatula, combine the ingredients together until you have a smooth batter with no lumps.
Dollop the batter in the prepared baking pan then smoothen the to and bake for 80 to 90 minutes in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes. For the glaze, add powdered sugar in a large mixing bowl together with melted butter and lemon juice then whisk them until and silky. Place the cooled cake on a wire rack and glaze the cake then let it sit for ten minutes before serving.
- 3 cup (360g/ 12.6Oz) all-purpose flour
- 1 (3.4 oz) package instant lemon pudding
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1½ cup (340grams/ 12Oz) butter softened
- 2¾ cup (350grams/ 12.3Oz) granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 (8 oz) sour cream
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon zest
For the glaze:
- 1½ cup (170grams/6Oz) powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice, more if needed to thin
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Butter and flour in a tube pan. Set aside then sift together the all-purpose flour, lemon pudding mix, salt and baking soda.
- Cream together the softened butter, granulated sugar and vanilla. Beat for 2-3 minutes until light and pale yellow in colour.
- Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Stop and scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Lower the speed of the mixer and add the sifted dry ingredients alternately with the sour cream. Mix until fully combined. Stir in the fresh lemon zest by hand.
- Pour into the prepared tube pan and place into the oven.
- Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes back clean.
- Cool in the pan on a wired rack for 15 minutes then remove the outer ring from the pan and cool completely.
- To prepare the glaze: Mix together the powdered sugar, lemon juice and melted butter. Drizzle over the cooled cake.