The best chocolate cake recipe, with one bite of this decadent, moist chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, every single person around the table commented that this was the best chocolate cake they’d ever tasted. Whether you’re looking to make a perfect 9-inch layer cake, a 9×13-inch sheet cake, or 24 wonderful cupcakes, this chocolate cake recipe is the only one you need in your arsenal.
This chocolate cake recipe is great with vanilla frosting or cream cheese frosting but is perfectly heavenly when paired with the fudgy chocolate frosting in the recipe. Start by mixing the dry and wet ingredients in separate bowls. Add the wet/buttermilk mixture to the dry flour mixture and mix the batter until well combined. Pour boiling water into the batter and stir until smooth. The batter will be very thin.
Pour the batter into your cake pans and bake the cakes on the middle rack of the oven. The cakes and the chocolate frosting can both be made ahead of time. Allow the cakes to cool completely, and then wrap them really well in plastic wrap and stick each layer in a ziplock freezer bag. Freeze for up to one month. I like to frost the cakes when they are frozen because they’re easier to frost.
The homemade chocolate frosting will keep well in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to two weeks, or in the freezer for up to three months. Remove the frosting from the fridge about an hour before you’re ready to frost your cake to allow it to come to room temperature.
For the Chocolate Cake;
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup oil (vegetable or canola oil)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
For the Chocolate Frosting;
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer for 2 minutes.
- Stir in boiling water (the batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes
- Grease a 9×13” pan with non-stick cooking spray. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely. Frost.
For the Chocolate Frosting:
- Combine butter and cocoa powder.
- Add powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract.