This milk bread is made with toasted coconuts that change this bread for the better. It is very fragrant, super moist and easy to make at home. To make the bread dough, add one cup of milk in a mixing bowl together with a quarter cup of sugar, one egg and yeast then give it a mix to whisk the egg in the ingredients and make sure the sugar is well dissolved.
Add flour to the wet mixture together with a tablespoon of salt and start to mix to form the dough just until everything comes together then cover the dough in teh bowl and set it aside for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, bring the dough onto a works surface or in the bowl of a stand mixer and add softened butter in the dough and knead the dough until smooth and elastic. The dough is ready when it’s not tearing when stretched.
Form the dough into a ball and place it into a lightly oiled bowl, cover and let it sit for one hour or until the dough has doubled in size. Degas the dough then divide it into two and take one ball of dough and lightly roll it with a rolling pin then generously add shredded coconuts on the rolled dough making sure the coconuts cover the whole surface of the dough. Roll the dough up from the top to bottom folding the coconuts in the dough then set it aside.
Bring the second ball of dough and roll it then add the coconuts and roll it then place the two dough into a baking pan then make a few cuts on the dough so that the folded coconuts can be seen then sprinkle more coconuts on teh bread and bake the bread in a 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180°C) oven for 20 to 22 minutes or until golden brown on top. Once the bread is baked and out of the oven, brush the top with melted butter, let it cool and serve.
- 1 cup fresh milk (250ml) (room temp or lukewarm)
- ¼ cup sugar (50g)
- 1 egg
- 2 and ¼ tsp instant yeast (7g)
- 3 and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (405g)
- 20 grams of Coconut filling (Shredded or toated coconuts)
- 1 tsp salt (5g)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter(50g) (if using salted then skip the salt)
- If baking this with conventional oven, please bake at 180°C(350°F) for 25 minutes. But if baking this with convection oven, please bake at 180°C(350°F) for 20-22 minutes.
- If using active dry yeast, it requires lukewarm milk to bloom with until foamy or at least 10 minutes.