These are the best bran muffins ever and they are super easy to bake. Start by preheating your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit then line muffin tins with muffin liners or lightly grease with a non-stick spray. You will need some bran cereals, not bran flakes. Pour that into a mixing bowl then add in one cup of buttermilk over the cereals and let it sit until soggy which will take about 10 minutes.
After ten minutes, add in one egg, half a teaspoon of vanilla extract and melted coconut oil, you can substitute the coconut oil with melted butter or vegetable oil. Give that a quick mix to combine and break up the egg until you end up with a very thick mixture. Next, add in the dry ingredients starting with two-third cups of brown sugar, one cup of all-purpose flour, baking powder and baking soda.
Mix that until alll the dry ingredients are moistened then divide the batter equally into a 12 muffins pan. Bake the bran muffins in 450 degrees Fahrenheit preheated oven for 5 minutes.
After 5 minutes, reduce the temparature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Once baked, remove them from the oven and place them on a wire rack to cool completely.
- 1½ cups 100% all-bran cereal
- 1 cup (240 ml) buttermilk
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup (135 grams) brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (125 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- What kind of bran cereal to use for muffins
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly spray a muffin pan with nonstick spray or line with paper cups.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl soak bran cereal and buttermilk for about 10 minutes until it gets all soggy.
- Add in melted coconut oil, egg, brown sugar, vanilla extract, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir thoroughly. This mixture will be very thick.
- Divide the batter equally among the 12 muffin cups, filling almost all the way full.
- Bake in the preheated 450-degree oven for 5 minutes. Without opening the door, reduce the heat to 350 degrees and let the muffins continue baking another 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool on a wire rack.