This is a really simple and traditional cake that you can make it plain or with cream cheese frosting which delicious, it’s going to be so good. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit then in a big mixing bowl, sift in two and a half cups of cake flour together with baking powder, baking soda, unsweetened cocoa powder and salt.
Once sifted, give them a light whisk then set them aside. In a separate bowl, add half a cup of softened butter and sugar then beat them together on medium speed for about one minute then add half a cup of oil, 4 egg yolks, vanilla extract for flavoring and 1 tablespoon of white vinegar. Beat them together until just combined.
Now, alternate adding the dry ingredients to the butter mixtre alternating the dry with one cup of buttermilk. While mixing on low speed, add a third of the dry ingredients, mix that in then add a third of the buttermilk and mix that in, alternate until all the ingredients are combined and you have a smooth batter with no lumps. Add one tablespoon of red food coloring and mix it in.
Bring the bowl with the 4 egg whites and beat them on high speed for about 3 minutes until they start to form stiff peaks then gently fold the meringue in the cake batter one third at a time till the batter is smooth and silky. Pour the batter into a Bundt pan and bake in the 350 degrees Fahrenheit preheated oven for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let the cake cool in the pan for about 5 minutes then remove and set them on a wire rack. At this point, you can serve the cake plain as it is, dusted with powdered sugar or make frosting and serve with it. To make the frosting, add cream cheese and butter in a large mixing bowl and beat them together for about 2 minutes until nice and smooth.
Add powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour, heavy cream or milk, vanilla extract and salt then beat on medium speed until it’s all completely combined, smooth and creamy. Frost the sides and top of the cake then slice and serve. This red velvet angel cake is so moist with a signature fluffy texture. Enjoy.
Red velvet cake;
- 2.5 cups (280 grams/ 9.8Oz) cake flour
- 2 tsp (8 grams) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons (7 grams/ 0.2Oz) unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (113 grams / 4Oz) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1.5 cups (300 grams/ 10.5Oz) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) canola or vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs, room temperature and separated [80 g egg yolk + 120 g egg white]
- 1 Tablespoon (15ml) pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon (15ml) distilled white vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15ml) gel red food colouring (gel creates more vibrant red than liquid colouring)
- 1 cup (237 ml) buttermilk, at room temperature
Cream cheese Frosting;
- 16 ounces (453 g) full-fat block cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 2 sticks (227 grams/ 8Oz) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 4 cups (480 grams/ 16.9Oz) confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tbsp (16 g / 0.6Oz) all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon (15ml) heavy cream or milk
- 2 teaspoon (10ml) pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt