This is a single-layer cake that is super moist with a dense texture and great chocolate flavor, and good on its own or with a chocolate glaze. Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180C) then you will need an 8-inch (20cm) round baking tin lightly greased and lined with parchment paper. You will need two bowls for the dry and wet ingredients.
In the first bowl, add one cup of flour together with unsweetened cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt then give it a good whisk to mix everything together. Set the bowl with the dry ingredients to the side. In the other bowl, add 3 room-temperature eggs and whisk that to break the egg yolks then add one cup of room-temperature yogurt and vanilla extract for flavoring.
Continue whisking everything with a hand whisk until the yogurt is well blended with the eggs. Add one cup of oil to the mixture and continue mixing. The oil will give this cake a nice and moist texture that stays soft even when refrigerated. While mixing the oil in the mixture, add one cup of sugar and continue mixing really well until you can feel the sugar has dissolved and you have a homogenous mixture.
Once well mixed, pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and use a spatula to stir everything together. You want to mix it together until the batter is smooth with no lumps then pour the batter into the prepared baking tin and smoothen the top then bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes.
You will know the cake is well baked when it starts to pull away from the pan and a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes then invert it on a wire rack and let it cool completely. If you want to glaze the cake, let it cool down before glazing. You can also serve the cake plain dusted with powdered sugar. Enjoy this super soft and flavorful cake with a cup of tea or milk.
- 1 cup (130 grams) of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (50 grams) of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 grams) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 grams) fine kosher salt
- 3 large eggs (150 grams out of shell), at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (120 ml/grams) flavorless oil (safflower, corn, vegetable, or canola)
- 1 cup (240 ml/grams) whole milk plain yogurt, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (6 grams) of pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place the oven rack in the center of the oven. Butter, or spray with a non-stick vegetable spray, an 8-inch (20 cm) round cake pan.
- In a large bowl, stir or whisk together the flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, stir or whisk together the eggs, oil, yogurt, and vanilla extract. Stir in the sugar. Add the wet ingredients to the dry flour mixture. Stir just until combined. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out just clean.
- Place on a wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Let cool completely before serving or glazing with chocolate glaze.