Light, airy, refreshing, deliciously sweet and dangerously sour, lemon yoghurt chiffon is one of the best desserts to enjoy at any time of the year. This lemon cake is super easy to make. Simply combine all the dry ingredients together in a bowl, then whisk the wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and mix well using a mixer. The light sweetness, tangy yoghurt and bright citrus flavours come full circle in the dish, making it a balanced pudding of sorts that isn’t too sweet for taste buds. Start with buttering your chiffon cake pan with butter then dust with flour and set aside then preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
Add a pinch of salt to egg whites and beat it until a soft peak forms. Place room temperate butter in a stand mixer then add sugar and using a paddle, mix it on medium speed until creamy. Once creamy, start adding egg yolks one at a time beating the mixture after each addition and once all egg yolks are well mixed in, add the rinds of two lemons and then add cream yoghurt.
Mix that on low to medium speed until it’s all combined. Start adding your sifter flour and baking soda then continue mixing on low speed until everything comes together then start folding in the egg whites. Pour the batter into your chiffon cake pan and smoothen the top then bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
Once baked, allow to cool for 5 minutes then turn the cake on a wire rack to completely cool.
- 4 egg yolks
- 20g sugar
- 40g vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 80g yoghurt
- 80g cake flour
- 4 egg whites
- 50g sugar
- Pour egg yolks and sugar into a bowl. Whisk till sugar dissolves.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine.
- Fold in sifted flour. Mix till smooth.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites till frothy.
- Add sugar gradually and beat until stiff. Fold in 1/3 of the whites into the yolk mixture till well incorporated. Pour in the remaining egg whites and fold gently till well combined.
- Pour into 20 cm chiffon mould. Bake at 180 degrees Celcius for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Immediately invert it after removal from the oven. Leave to cool. When the cake is cold, remove from the mould.