If you love beignets and have been nervous about making them at home nice and fluffy, this recipe will help you how to make the most amazing, delicious Beignets you’ve ever had. Add warm water to a stand mixer bowl then add active dry yeast and sprinkle sugar for the yeast to feed on and grow the give that a whisk using a hand whisk then let it sit for about 10 minutes for the yeast to activate. Crack one whole egg and one egg yolk in a bowl the give it a little whisk just until its combined.
Into the bowl with the yeast mixture, add the rest of the sugar together with whole milk, the beaten eggs and melted butter then go ahead and whisk that just until combined. Attach the bowl on a stand mixer and if you are doing it by hand, get your hands ready. Sprinkle in a little sea salt then add all-purpose flour and knead on medium to low speed just until you get a smooth dough, that will take about 4 minutes and when making the dough by hand it will take about 10 to 15 minutes.
Once the dough has been formed, place the dough, place the dough in a bowl, cover with a plastic wrap and let the dough sit for 1 to 2 hours or until its doubled in size. Dust your work surface with some flour then bring the proofed dough on it and roll it to about a half-inch to three-quarters thick then using a pizza wheel or a knife and slice one and a half-inch to two inches square or rectangle.
Place a large pot over medium heat and add oil then let it come to 350 degrees Fahrenheit the lower between 5 to 10 at a time without overcrowding the pot. It only takes between one and a half to two minutes to cook per side. Once the beignets are completely cooked, take them out of the oil and set them on a paper towel on a sheet tray. The beignets are so light, so fluffy and absolutely delicious.
- 1 cup (235ml) of warm water
- 2 teaspoons active yeast
- 1/3 cups (82 grams) of sugar + 1 tablespoon
- 2/3 cup (158ml) whole milk
- 1 large egg + 1 yolk
- 3 tablespoons (42.6 grams) melted unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 4 1/3 cup (523 grams) All-Purpose Flour
- Neutral oil for frying
- Add the warm water, yeast, and 1 tablespoon of sugar to a standing mixer bowl and whisk until combined. Let sit for 7-10 minutes until it forms a raft on top.
- Next, pour in the remaining sugar, milk, eggs, and melted butter and whisk until combined.
- Attach the bowl the stand mixer with the hook attachment and add in the salt and flour and mix on medium speed until smooth and the dough has pulled away from the inside of the bowl, about 2-3 minutes.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap or a towel and let sit at room temperature until it has doubled in size, about 90 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a large clean surface dusted with flour and roll out until it is ½” to ¾” thick and cut into 1 ½” to 2” squares or rectangles.
- Add 5-6 of the beignets to a pot with hot oil or a deep fryer set to 350° and cook for 1 1 1/2-2 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Cook in batches until the beignets have all been fried and set on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper or paper towels and drain.