Buttery peanut butter cookies held together with creamy peanut butter frosting and strawberry jam. These thick and chunky cookies are packed with peanut butter and rolled in sugar before they’re baked. The result is a melt-in-your-mouth cookie that boasts crispy edges and a soft, buttery centre.
Once you pair that with homemade peanut butter buttercream, you’re almost in peanut butter heaven. But add a teaspoon of sweet strawberry jam and you have the ultimate sweet. To make the batter- Combine sugar, peanut butter, eggs and vanilla in a medium bowl. Stir with a large spoon until you have a uniform batter.
To create a perfect bite-sized cookie, get a rounded teaspoon of batter (like an actual teaspoon measure, not the spoon you eat your cereal with), and roll into a ball. Place balls on a cookie sheet about an inch apart. Feel free to make them smaller or bigger, but I think this size makes a super cute, adorable treat.
The cookies won’t spread very much while you bake them, so give each ball a light press with the palm of your hand before putting them in the oven.
For this miniature size, they bake for 9 minutes, or until the edges are starting to firm up. This gives the cookies a nice solid bottom to hold the jelly.
When they come out of the oven, let them cool for a couple of minutes (they will continue to cook and flatten slightly), and then while still warm sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Use your favourite jelly flavour and more peanut to sandwich the cookies and enjoy.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups salted peanuts, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Granulated sugar for rolling
- 1/2 cup Peanut Butter for filling
- 1/2 cup Strawberry preserves (or jelly) for filling
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients – flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In your mixer, beat the butter until smooth. Add in the peanut butter and beat for at least a minute until creamy.
- Scrape down the side of the bowl before adding additional ingredients.
- Beat in the light brown and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Slowly incorporate the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Scrape down the side of the bowl before adding in the dry ingredients.
- On low speed, mix in the dry ingredients just until they are incorporated. Add in the chopped peanuts until evenly distributed.
- Use a medium-size cookie scoop to scoop even-sized balls of dough, and roll them in sugar until they are evenly coated.
- Place the balls of dough on a sil-pat or parchment-lined baking sheet with at least two inches in between each cookie.
- Press the tines of a fork against the ball of cookie dough in each direction, making a cross-cross, to flatten.
- Bake the cookies at 375 degrees F for 9 to 11 minutes until the edges are lightly golden.
- Let the cookies set on the baking sheet for a few minutes until transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Flip half of the cookies over so that the underside is facing up.
- Use a pastry bag (or a zip-lock bag with one end cut off) to pipe a dollop of peanut butter onto each of the upside-down cookies.
- Repeat the process with strawberry jam or strawberry preserves.