The bars are made with two layers of buttery crisp cookies with tangy raspberry jam. It is crisp and crumbly and quite rich and they really go so well together. Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and you will need a 9-inch baking pan and you can either butter your pan or spray with mon stick spray. Add one cup of butter to your stand mixer and have them at room temperature. Beat on medium heat to get it creamy and smooth.
Add in light brown sugar, a teaspoon of pure vanilla extract and beat it on medium speed just to get everything mixed together. In a separate bowl with plain flour, add half a teaspoon of salt then mix everything in then add tp the stand mixer. Beat it on low speed and then on medium just until the dough starts to come together. Take about two turds of the batter and even it in the cake tin and bake between 16 to 18 minutes and rotate your baking pan halfway through the baking.
What you are looking for is for the top surface to get very lightly browned. Once baked, you will put your jam on top of the shortbread. You could use your favourite raspberry jam. Drizzle the jam over the shortbread cookies still in the oan then take the remaining dough and coat it over the jam. Alternatively, you can use two baking tin oof the same size and once they are bakes, apply the raspberry jam on one layer and with the other layer.
Once you have coated with the other layer, place it back in the oven or 25 to 30 minutes until the top is golden brown. Once baked, remove from the oven and you will slice it while still warm then leave it to cool before serving. If you ket to cool before cutting it will be quite hard to cut and crumbly. Try making your today.!
- 2 cups (260 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 gram) salt
- 1 cup (225 grams) butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup (75 grams) light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (240 ml/300 grams) raspberry jam
- In the bowl of your electric stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter until smooth.
- Add the sugar and vanilla extract and beat, on medium speed, until creamy and smooth.
- Add the flour mixture and beat just until incorporated and you have clumps of batter.
- Evenly press about two-thirds (370 grams) of the shortbread onto the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Lightly prick with the tines of a fork. Bake the shortbread about 16 – 18 minutes or until light brown.
- Remove from oven and evenly spread the raspberry jam over the shortbread base, leaving a 1/4 inch (.5 cm) border.
- With the remaining shortbread dough, using your fingers, crumble it over the top of the raspberry jam.
- Then lightly press the dough into the jam.
- Bake for about 25 – 30 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Remove from oven, place on a wire rack, and while still warm, cut into 16 squares.
- Allow to cool completely in pan. The bars can be covered and stored in the refrigerator for about five days, or they can be frozen.