These cookies are really easy and if you love coconut then you will be making these often. In a mixing bowl, add two sticks of softened unsalted butter the using an electric mixer, cream the butter until its smooth and creamy then add one cup of brown sugar and one cup of granulated sugar. Cream them together with the electric mixer. Next, add two large eggs, vanilla extract and some coconut flavour to give these cookies a really nice flavour. With an electric mixer, stir everything together again until combined.
In a separate bowl, add all-purpose flour, two teaspoons of cornstarch and this will help your cookies become nice, thick, soft and chewy. You will, also be adding baking soda and salt, whisk the dry ingredients until everything is well combined. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and use the electric mixer to mix it in until completely combined. Remember to scrape the side and bottom of the bowl with a spatula.
When the batter is smooth with no flour visible, add two cups of shredded unsweetened coconut then stir then coconut in with a spatula. If you can find Ghirardelli caramel chips, add them to these cookies and they will be so delicious. This coconut dough needs to chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, cover the bowl with a plastic wrap to keep it from drying out then let it chill.
About 15 minutes before you start baking the cookies, preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop the cookie dough and round them in your palm to make a round ball then line them on the baking sheet and space them at least two inches apart.
Bake them in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until they are light golden brown. Serve these coconuts by dipping them in chcolate and sprinkle them with toasted coconuts. Enjoy.
- 1 cup (216g) butter room temperature
- 1 cup (200g) brown sugar tightly packed
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 1/4 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- Beat butter in the bowl of a stand mixer (or using an electric beater) for about 30 seconds. Add sugars and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined then stir in vanilla and coconut extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt.
- Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture until completely combined. Be sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl so ingredients are well-mixed.
- Gradually stir in 3 cups coconut flakes and caramel chips until completely combined.
- Chill dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C) and prepare cookie sheets by lining with parchment paper.
- Drop cookie by rounded 2-3 Tablespoon-sized ball onto parchment paper, spacing at least 2″ apart.
- Bake on 375F (190C) for 10-12 until slightly browned, centres may still be slightly underbaked but shouldn’t be raw, they’ll bake completely as they cool.
- Allow cookies to cool completely on cookie sheet before serving them plain or by dipping in dark chocolate.