This is a super decadent moist and fudgy chcolate cake. It can be made just in one bowl and yours will bake perfectly. Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit then in a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Starting with the flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, corn starch which helps keep the cake nice soft and tender. Stir everything together until its really combined.
Make a well in the dry ingredients then add one cup of melted butter and half a cup of oil then with an electric mixer mix until the butter and oil are well incorporated then add two large eggs and an additional egg yolk which makes the cake mists and tender. Add sour cream and vanilla extract then stir everything until its well combined and your batter is smooth. You will also need a three-quarters cup of very hot water or very hot coffee, coffee is better because it helps bring out the chocolate flavour in the cake.
Turn your mixer on low speed then carefully add the hot liquid. It is important that your liquid is hot because it will react with the cocoa giving you a rich chcolate flavour. Add half a cup of mini chocolate chips and fold it in then pour the batter in a greased baking pan and bake in a 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 50 to 55 minutes.
Once baked, let the cake cool for about 10 minutes then carefully invert the cake on a cooling rack to cool completely. You can serve this chocolate cake the way it is or glaze it with a fudge frosting. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add chopped unsweetened chocolate, butter and a third cup of whole milk the melt that together until nice and smooth.
Once the chocolate butter is completely melted, add vanilla extract and salt then whisk those in. Add powdered sugar and whisk it until the mixture is smooth and glossy, set the frosting aside for about 20 minutes to thicken then glaze the cake. Serve the cake immediately and enjoy.
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (200g) light brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 ½ cups (300g) granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup (68g) natural cocoa powder
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 cup (118ml) canola oil
- 2 large eggs + 1 egg yolk lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cup (318g) sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (177ml) hot coffee or hot water
- 1/2 cup (85g) mini chocolate chips
- 3 oz (85g) unsweetened chocolate chopped into small pieces
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup (80ml) whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (250g) powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C) and thoroughly and generously grease and flour a baking pan (tap out excess flour) or spray generously with baking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl (or in the bowl of a stand mixer) whisk together flour, sugars, cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add butter and oil and stir well until completely combined.
- Add eggs, egg yolk, sour cream, and vanilla extract and stir until smooth and well-combined.
- Gradually add hot coffee or hot water and stir until combined. Stir in mini chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared bundt pan and bake on the centre rack for 50-55 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted in the thickest part of the cake comes out with a few fudgy crumbs or clean. Allow cooling for ten minutes then carefully invert onto a cooling rack to cool completely before covering with chocolate glaze.
- Combine chocolate, butter, and milk in a large microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 30-second increments (stirring well in between) until chocolate and butter are completely melted.
- Add powdered sugar and whisk until smooth. Allow cooling until mixture is still fluid but no longer runny (about 15 minutes) then drizzle over the top of the chocolate bundt cake. Allow glaze to harden before slicing and serving.