There are 4 ways to enjoy these cheese tarts. You can eat as fresh as possible at room temperature or cold, enjoy smoother texture by putting in a fridge. You can also Iced it like an ice-cream by putting it in the freezer. And it can be hot – reheating it in a toaster oven.
This cheese tart is a rich dessert that incorporates the goodness of cream cheese, whipping cream and evaporated milk to yield a velvety smooth filling. The mixture is baked on a flaky cream cheese pie crust that is thin and light.
This recipe is simple even though you have the crust and the filling components to tackle. Adding lemon zest to this cheese tart brings the taste to another level.!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp cold heavy cream
- 1 and 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
For the Cheese Filling
- 1 block cream cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking powder. Add the cream cheese and incorporate it into the flour mixture by pressing it with your fingers and smashing with your palms.
- Add the cubed cold butter and incorporate it into the flour by pressing with your fingers but leaving the butter pieces just flattened and still visible.
- The mixture should look crumbly with big pieces of crumbs from the addition of butter.
- Add the cream and apple cider vinegar and combine until dough is almost coming together. Gather it into a ball, flatten into a disc and wrap with plastic.
- Refrigerate dough for about 6 hours or overnight. On a floured surface, roll the dough to about 1/4 to 1/8 inch thick and gently wrap it around the rolling pin.
- Lift it gently over the pie pan, lower and center it down and tuck the dough into the sides of the pan.
- Cut excess dough on the edge of the pie pan and use your fingers or a fork to create decorative borders.
- Refrigerate dough for at least two hours.
- Pre-bake the crust at 425 F for 15 minutes or until the crust is lightly golden. Set aside.
Make the Cheese Filling
- In a double boiler, melt the butter and cream cheese together with the milk, cream, and sugar.
- Once the mixture is smooth and the texture is slightly thicker than that of whipping cream, turn off heat.
- Stir in the egg, cornstarch, lemon juice, and salt. Whisk the mixture until the cornstarch is dissolved and all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Remove mixture from the double boiler set up and allow to cool slightly. You can cover it with plastic and refrigerate while you preheat the oven.
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Set the pan with the crust on a baking sheet so you can easily put it inside the oven.
- Pour the filling into the pie shell and bake for 15 minutes or so, or until the center looks almost set.