This is a classic cake, it’s a super simple cake that is served with Nutella, this cake is special for any type of special occasion. In a bowl, add all-purpose flour together with baking powder, baking soda and some salt for more stability. Whisk them around really well to make sure the other ingredients are well-dispersed in the flour. For the wet ingredients, you will need a big bowl, add in the sugar and softened butter then using a hand whisk, beat the butter and sugar until they are soft and fluffy and the sugar is well mixed into the butter.
You will then add in the eggs one at a time while berating the eggs after each addition then add vanilla extract for flavoring. Once well mixed, you will take the dry ingredients together with one cup of buttermilk and start adding them to the butter mixture alternating the dry ingredient and the buttermilk until you are done. Once your batter is done and all fluffy, let it sit for about five minutes the prepare your baking pans by greasing them then dusting with a little flour and line the bottom with a parchment paper.
Pour the batter evenly between the two pans, spread the top so that you can have an even layer then bake in a 325 degrees Fahrenheit oven for about 30 to 35 minutes. Once baked, let the cake cool on a wire rack just until the pan s are warm then run a knife on the edge of the cake and over the cakes over a plate and let them cool off completely.
For the frosting of this cake, you will need Nutella, and depending on how much Nutella you have, you will dump a good amount of Nutella on one layer of the cake and spread it then take the other layer of the cake and cover the first layer with. Serve the cake immediately and enjoy every good to the last bite.
- 2 cup (240 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ (300 grams) cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter 2 sticks, softened, do not melt
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 2 yolks room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon butter flavoring optional
- 1 cup buttermilk room temperature
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Line the bottom of two, round 9-inch cake pans with a parchment paper circle. Grease and lightly flour the pans. Set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl, sift together flour baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream together sugar and butter, mix in eggs and yolks, one at a time, mixing after each egg.
- Mix in vanilla extract and butter flavoring.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, alternating with the buttermilk then mix until batter is fluffy, being sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Let batter rest for 5 minutes.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pans and use an offset spatula to spread into an even layer.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes (may need a tad bit longer) or until golden around the edges and moist crumbs cling to a toothpick inserted into the center.
- Place on a cooling rack until pans are warm enough to touch and then carefully remove the cake from pans and allow to cool completely.
- Frost with Nutella, if you don’t have, you can use chocolate frosting