Light as air, fluffy cake that is completely saturated with tres leches then topped with chantilly cream, you are going to love this cake. Start by sifting the dry ingredients to the bowl of a stand mixer then give that a quick whisk and set it in the mixer. For the wet ingredients, add one cup of sour cream into a large bowl together with milk, vanilla extract and egg whites, give that a whisk until all the wet ingredients are mixed in then set that aside.
Into the dry ingredients, add softened butter and mix it on low speed until the butter is completely mixed in the flour then add the wet mixture in and mix on low until you get a beautiful nice smooth batter and make sure there are no lumps. Line a 9 by 13 rectangle baking pan or 2 9×2-inch round pans with parchment paper then pour in the batter and bake in a 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 C) for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted at the centre comes out clean.
What makes this cake to the next level is the tres leches, into a bowl add whole milk, evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk. Give that a whisk and set aside. Invert the cake on a wire rack then poke holes with a fork or a skewer on the top of the cake then pour the milk mixture over the top of the slowly and let the milk get absorbed into the cake until its moist.
For the frosting, add heavy cream to a stand mixer bowl together with sugar then mix until it is very soft the add a splash of vanilla, mix it then add mascarpone cheese which adds a little tang to the cream. Fold everything in by hand then top the cake with the cream and smoothen it out then slice the cake. This cake is so light and creamy and will just melt in your mouth.
For the Cake:
- 3 2/3 cups (450g) cake flour
- 2 1/4 cups ( 480g) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1.5 cups ( 355ml) whole milk, room temperature
- 8 egg whites room temperature
- 1 tbsp (15mL) vanilla extract
- 17 tbsp (240g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup (80ml) sour cream room temperature
For the Milk Mixture:
- 3/4 cup (177ml) whole milk
- 14 oz (397g) sweetened condensed milk
- 12 fl oz (354mL) evaporated milk
For the Frosting:
- 3 cups (710ml) heavy whipping cream, cold
- 1 cup(120 grams) confectioner’s sugar
- 8 oz mascarpone cheese room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Prepare a 13″ x 9″ sheet cake pan by adding parchment paper.
- In a standing mixer, sift in the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Give it a whisk and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add egg whites, milk, vanilla, and sour cream. Whisk together.
- Attach a paddle attachment to the stand mixer. Add in room temperature butter in cubes or pieces.
- On medium speed, beat for ½ of the wet mixture into the crumby dry mixture. Scrape the bowl down and add the remaining wet mixture. Beat until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared sheet cake pan or round pan.
- Bake for 40 -50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool to room temperature.
For the Syrup:
- Add the three kinds of milk into a large bowl, whisk together and set aside. You can add more milk to cut the sweetness if desired. If you’re adding dark rum go ahead and mix it in now. Start with 1/4 cup and add more to taste.
For the Frosting:
- In a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, add heavy whipping cream, confectioners sugar.
- Beat on high until whipped.
- Add vanilla extract. Give it another whip on high.
- Fold in mascarpone by hand using a spatula. Switch to a whisk and beat.
For the Assembly:
- Slowly drizzle on the tres leches on the cake. You can poke holes all over the cake to make more room for the sweet milk mixture if desired.
- Use an ice cream scooper to add the frosting.
- Smooth with an offset spatula, slice and serve.