You want a cake that is dense enough but also airy and bouncy. Because we are using zest from the peels, make sure you are using organic citrus. This cake recipe can also be made in a rectangular loaf pan with the same baking time. Instead of brushing the cake with warm honey and orange juice, you can opt for any jam of your choice or leave it as is.
In a bowl, sift or whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt. Make a well in the centre. In a separate bowl, whisk together the yoghurt, vegetable oil, egg, orange zest and juice.
Pour the yoghurt mixture into the well and mix gently until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake about 20-30 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Remove from the oven, let rest 5 minutes then transfer onto a cooling rack. Brush with the orange syrup while still hot.
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- ½ orange, zest and juice
- ½ cup (120g) Plain 2% m.f yogurt
- 3 large eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup (187g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp (10g) baking powder
- ½ cup (110g) canola oil
- ¼ cup (85ml) honey
- Pre-heat your oven to 350F(180C) with a rack in the middle. Grease a circular 8” cake pan (or loaf pan) with some butter and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the sugar with the orange zest and rub with your fingers so the zest releases moisture and the sugar is moist and lumpy. Whisk in the yoghurt, eggs and vanilla extract.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, salt and baking powder. Whisk in the wet ingredients until just incorporated.
- Switch to a spatula and fold in the oil, until just incorporated. The batter should look smooth and glossy.
- Transfer the batter to the pan and bake for 50 minutes, until golden and a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Transfer the cake to a cooling rack.
- Warm up the honey in a small saucepan and stir in the orange juice.
- When the cake pan is cool enough to handle, remove the cake from the pan and transfer onto a plate. Brush the warm honey all over
- Enjoy warm or cool.