With Thanksgiving happening and Christmas just around the corner, I thought it was high time to share this Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole which is basically one of my all-time favorite easy casserole recipes for large gatherings. Not only is it ridiculously lip-smackingly delicious, but it’s also actually really practical because it can be made ahead then reheated on the day.
Make ahead mashed potatoes are my favorite for a big holiday dinner. This loaded mashed potato casserole jazzes up plain potatoes by adding everyone’s favorite baked potato toppings to the mix. The first step is to cook your potatoes. Boil the potatoes until they’re tender, then mash them up with plenty of butter, cheese, sour cream, and seasonings. Afterward, the mashed potatoes get spread into a casserole dish and then are topped with bacon and cheese and baked to perfection.
- 3 pounds of russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 and 1/2 inch pieces
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 4 tablespoons of butter, melted
- 1 cup of sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 2/3 cups of shredded cheddar cheese, divided use
- 1/2 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add 2 tablespoons of salt. Place the potatoes in the pot and boil for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Drain the potatoes. Run the potatoes through the ricer and transfer them back to the pot.
- Alternatively, you can skip the ricing step and simply mash the potatoes with a potato masher or mixer. Stir in the milk, butter, sour cream and then add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in 1 cup of the cheddar cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the potatoes into a 9-inch pan coated with cooking spray.
- Top with remaining 2/3 cup of cheddar cheese. Cover the pan with foil and place into the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and add the bacon; bake, uncovered for an additional 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and potatoes are heated through.
- Sprinkle the chives and parsley over the top and serve immediately.