This cake is a densely textured cake, buttery sweet with a hint of lemon covered with a lemon frosting. Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and butter then flour your baking pan. In a bowl add granulated white sugar and then zest in one lemon, make sure you just get the yellow skin then use a fork to mix the lemon zest into the sugar.
Add unsalted room temparature butter in a stand mixer then add full-fat cream cheese then beat that in medium speed until nice and smooth. Add in sugar and beat that on medium speed then add vanilla extract and beat on medium high-speed for about 5 minutes until very fluffy. Add in three large eggs one at a time white beating after each addition and have them at room temperature. For the dry ingredients, sift all-purpose flour then to that add half a teaspoon of baking powder, an eighth of a teaspoon of baking soda and salt.
Add about half of the sifted dry ingredienst to the batter on medium speed Once the batter is ready, pour it to the baking pan and bake them between 60 to 70 minutes, it will rise with a beautiful golden brown colour. Let it cool for about 30 minutes then remove the cake from the pan and leave it to cool completely while making the lemon frosting. In a bowl put two cups of confectioners sugar then add about 4 teaspoons of lemon juice and whisk everything in.
Once done, pour the glaze on the cake and let it sit until the glaze is dry. Cut the cake and enjoy the rich and delicious lemon frosted pound cake.
- 1 1/2 cups (195 grams) all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 grams) baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 gram) salt
- 1 1/3 cups (265 grams) granulated white sugar
- Zest of one lemon, finely grated
- 3/4 cup (170 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 ounces (115 grams) full fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (6 grams) pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 cups (230 grams) confectioners’ (powdered or icing) sugar
- 3 – 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Butter and flour a 9 x 5 x 3 inch (23 x 13 x 8 cm) loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour with the baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small bowl rub the lemon zest into the sugar.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract and sugar and beat on medium-high speed until the mixture is light and fluffy (about 5 minutes).
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Add the flour mixture, in two additions, and mix just until incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for about 60 – 70 minutes or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool for about 20 – 30 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the pan to finish cooling before frosting.
- Place the confectioner’s sugar in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add about 3 tablespoons of the lemon juice and whisk until you have a thick and smooth glaze.
- Add more lemon juice or powdered sugar if needed to get the correct pouring consistency.
- Slowly pour the frosting over the top of the cake, allowing it to drip down the sides.
- Let the frosting dry before covering and storing.
- This cake will keep about 3 to 4 days at room temperature or about one week in the refrigerator. Can also be frozen.