This lemon cake is a wonderful mix of textures and layers and such a fun way to enjoy the lemon cake. The key to this recipe is using sifted all-purpose flour. Sifting the flour aerates it, creating an overall fluffier cake. Cake flour is too light for this lemon cake. All-purpose flour is great, sifted all-purpose flour is much better. To make a lemon cake, all you need at the beginning is enough lemons, the juice in the lemon really contains much flavor and the natural flavors come from the natural oils and the skin of the lemons.
Add sugar in a bowl and begin to cream with the grated lemon skins. Add your eggs one at a time, use unsweetened lemon yogurt to give your cake that extra scaring. If you don’t get lemon yogurt you can still use any normal yogurt that is available. Add milk with your dry ingredients then give your batter a good mix then pour your batter into a baking pan lined with parchment paper and you are going to bake your cake in a preheated oven and bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 25 to 30 minutes. Use a toothpick to check if your cake is ready, if it comes out clean, your cake is ready. You are going to let your cake cool for 5 minutes in their baking pan.
To make the lemon curd, just throw some lemon juice and zest, sugar, egg yolks and a bit of butter in a double boiler and cook until it reaches between 170 and 180 degrees. Use a thermometer to test the temperature, just to be sure it’ll be cooked to the exact thickness you want it at. To put the cake together, you’ll need to also make the lemon buttercream. It’s full of butter, sugar and lemon juice and zest – all the things you need in a great buttercream. When you’re ready to use the fillings, you’ll want to stir them up well and smooth them out a bit.
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup of sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 lemon zested
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9×13-inch pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sour cream, eggs, vanilla, lemon zest, and sugar.
- Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until fully combined.
- Next, fold the vegetable oil and lemon juice into the batter, making sure it’s fully mixed.
- Evenly pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick placed in the center of the cake comes out clean
- Let sit in the pan for at least 10 minutes on the counter. Then, remove onto a baking rack.
- Prepare the glaze: stir together the powdered sugar and the lemon juice. If you want a thinner glaze, add more lemon juice.