This is a delicious cake that you can bake it in any shape pan that you have, you can also turn it into a loaf cake and it’s so delicious, moist and good. If you want and extra chocolate taste you can add a chocolate glaze on top of the cake once baked, let it set then serve. Butter and line the bottom of the pan with a parchment paper then in a large mixing bowl you will mix the dry ingredients and mix them together breaking any lumps of cocoa.
A few lumps are okay, in a second bowl you will combine the wet ingredients and whisk to combine. For the wet ingredients, you will need coffee and one thing about baking with coffee is that you will not taste the coffee in the cake and it will really amplify the flavour of chocolate. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and whisk just until they are combined and the dry ingredients are moistened.
Add chocolate chips and fold it in the batter then pour the batter into the prepared cake pan(s) and bake in a preheated 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Once they come out of the oven, let them rest for 15 minutes then run a knife or a spatula of the edges of the cake to loosen them from the pan. You can serve the cake the way it is or pour a glaze ion top for extra chocolatey flavour.
- 3 cups (375 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (50 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder (natural)
- 2 cups (400 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups warm coffee (not hot)
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup light olive oil, not extra virgin
- 1 cup (170 grams) of chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Butter two 9″ cake pans and lines the bottoms with a ring of parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk together your dry ingredients: 3 cups flour, 1/2 cup cocoa powder, 2 cups sugar, 2 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp salt until there are no more cocoa lumps (a few tiny lumps are ok; it also helps to sift the cocoa before using it).
- In a separate bowl, mix together your wet ingredients: 2 cups warm coffee, 2 Tbsp vinegar, 1 Tbsp vanilla extract and 2/3 cup olive oil.
- Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until they come together.
- Divide equally between prepared cake pans and top with more chocolate chips then bake in a preheated oven at 350˚F for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan 15 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.