The key lime tart is actually very easy to make. To start off we will have to make graham crackers crust by grinding them in a food processor. Key lime is made with cream cheese which acts as the base of the filling recipe, giving the filling a little structure and a subtle cheesecake flavor. Also providing a little structure, as well as a rich texture, are egg yolks. Besides those two, we’ve got sweetened condensed milk which is an obvious must in my key lime pies. Add unsalted melted butter to the crushed crackers and two tablespoons of sugar. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees while you process the butter and graham crackers. Place the crushed crackers on a baking pan then press it to make sure it really firm then place it in the preheated oven and bake it until it turns slightly darker golden brown.
In another bowl, add sweetened condensed milk to sugar and lime then whisk together and add egg yolks. Once everything is nice and smooth, add a pinch of salt then shake the bowl to remove bubbles in the mixture. Pour the filling into the crust then put it back in the oven until it settles for 25 minutes. After it has settled, remove from the oven and put it in a refrigerator then slice it later. You will be guaranteed with a tangy and aromatic taste from this key lime tart.
- 16 graham crackers
- 8 tablespoons melted butter
- 2½ cups sweetened condensed milk
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream, cold
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, crush the graham crackers until you have fine crumbs.
- Mix with melted butter until it has the texture of wet sand. Press the graham cracker mixture into a 10-inch tart ring.
- Bake the crust for 7 minutes, remove from the oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine the condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice, and lime zest.
- Pour into the baked tart shell and return to the oven for 5-8 minutes, until set. Let the pie cool completely.
- Whip the cream until soft peaks form. Top the pie with the whipped cream and lime zest, and serve.