This vanilla pound cake is exactly that. Light, airy, fluffy with a delicate crumb. The flavors of buttery cake with hints of vanilla and almond are apparent in every bite. The greatest power of pound cake is its versatility. You can serve this cake in so many ways, slather with butter, toast in a skillet, then dust with powdered sugar and top with macerated warm berries.
Serve warm. Slather with butter, toast in a skillet, and top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, drizzle with chocolate or warmed Nutella Top with whipped cream, lemon curd, and berries dress it up with a lemon glaze and strawberry slices. Don’t remove the pound cake from the loaf pan immediately after baking, you want to let the cake cool about halfway, at least 10 minutes, before flipping it out of the pan and letting it come to room temperature.
You can also make this pound cake recipe in a bundt pan if you want something more decorative. Butter and flour the bundt pan before pouring the cake batter in. Use a toothpick to check the doneness of your cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is ready. If it starts browning around the edges, it is over-baked and your cake will lose a lot of moistness.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and flour and butter an 8×4 inch loaf pan. To a stand mixer add the butter and sugar on high speed and beat until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. On medium speed add in the vanilla and the eggs one at a time, then the milk until fully combined.
Add in the flour, baking powder, and salt until just combined then pour into the loaf pan and bake for 90 minutes.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated and at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a baking pan with baking spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter until light and creamy about 3 minutes on medium speed.
- Gradually add in the granulated sugar and confectioners sugar to the butter.. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 8 minutes on medium speed.
- Add the egg yolks, one at time and mixing in between until combined, scraping down bowl as needed. Beat in vanilla and almond extract.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and salt together three times. Reduce mixer to low.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, alternating with the milk, beating until just combined after each addition. Transfer the batter to a large bowl and clean out your mixer bowl.
- With the whisk attachment, beat the eggs whites on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold the beaten egg whites into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 to 1.5 hours.
- Let cake cool in pan for at least 10 0 15 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Let cool completely.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.