These jam-filled baked donuts are so soft, airy and melt in your mouth delicious and this recipe is so easy. In a large mixing bowl, combine one cup of flour, a quarter cup of sugar, instant yeast and salt. Whisk those together then add a cup of warm milk, melted butter, egg yolks, and half a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Whisk that really well until smooth then cover with a plastic wrap and let it rest at room temperature for about 10 minutes or until some bubbles form on the surface.
Once the mixture has rested, add the remaining flour adding just enough until the dough holds together and no longer sticks to the side of the bowl. If the dough is really sticky to your hands, dust it with a little bit more flour then knead in the bowl for about five minutes. The dough should be smooth, soft and won’t stick to clean dry hands. When you are done kneading the dough, cover it with a plastic wrap and let it rise in a hundred degrees oven for about 45 minutes.
Or at room temperature for n hour and a half or until t doubles in size. Dust your work surface with flour then turn the dough onto the floured surface, dust the top of the dough then roll it to just under half an inch thick. Use a two and a half-inch round cookie cutter to cut around twelve circles, keep them as close together as possible to maximize dough. Transfer the dough to a parchment-lined baking sheet keeping them evenly placed. over the donuts with a tea towel and let them rise in a warm oven for 45 minutes. They are ready to bake when they look puffed.
Bake your donuts on the center rack of a preheated oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit until they are just lightly golden on the outside. As soon as they come out of the oven while they are still hot, brush them with melted butter and immediately roll the melted butter in a bowl of sugar to coat all the sides.
Repeat with the remaining donuts one at a time until they are done. To fill them with jam, use a small paring knife to cut a dip slit into each donut. Fill your pastry bag fitted with a round tip with strawberry jam and just make sure you use a jam that doesn’t have too large of pieces, so it doesn’t get stuck in the tip. Slowly fill each donut until you fee the jam pushing back. Then ts time to do the taste test.! They just melt in your mouth soft and the texture is just like fried donuts inside. You can totally experiment and do different flavors to change up your donuts.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour divided, plus more for dusting
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 tsp instant yeast quick-acting, (1 packet = 7 grams)
- 2/3 cup warm milk 110˚F – microwave 35 sec.
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter melted, divided
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup jelly or jam (no large fruit pieces)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar to roll donuts
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together 1 cup flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 1/4 tsp (1 packet) instant yeast and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Add warm milk, 3 Tbsp melted butter, 2 egg yolks, and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, and whisk vigorously to combine well.
- Cover with plastic wrap and rest at room temperature 10 minutes, until some bubbles form on the surface.
- Add remaining 1 1/2 cups flour, adding just enough until dough holds together and no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl.
- Knead in the bowl 5 minutes. If the dough is really sticking to your hands, dust lightly with flour then continue kneading with clean dry hands.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a 100˚F oven for 45 min or at room temperature for 1 1/2 hours, or until doubled in size.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat oven to 375˚F with rack in the center of the oven.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and roll the dough out to just under 1/2” thick. Cut circles using a 2 1/2 inch round cookie cutter.
- Re-roll scraps if needed to make 12 donuts total. Place donuts on a prepared baking sheet, cover with a tea towel and let rise in a 100˚F oven for 20 min or at room temperature 45 min, or until puffed.
- Bake uncovered in the center of a preheated oven at 375˚F for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden on top.
- Right out of the oven, brush a hot bun all over with the remaining 1 Tbsp melted butter and roll in a bowl of sugar to coat lightly with sugar.
- Cut a deep slit in the side of each donut and pipe jam with a pastry bag into each one.