There is something about this delicious, moist cake that keeps us all coming back for more. It is rich, moist, perfectly flavored lemon cake topped with the perfect layer of lemon frosting. While baking, keep it in the oven a little longer than some of the other recipes. It needed a little longer to ensure that it wouldn’t sink in the middle.
The cake itself is perfectly lemony, and the lemon glaze boosts the lemon flavor even more. Lemon lovers will be in their glory. For the glaze, feel free to spread or drizzle. Also, you can wait until right before you’re going to serve the cake before drizzling the glaze.
- 1 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tsp baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 3 egg, room temperature
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 cup plus 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1⁄2 tsp lemon extract
- Prep 15 min Cook 45 min Ready 60 min
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 x 5 loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, sugar, butter, vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon lemon extract, and lemon juice until blended.
- Mix wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until smooth. Stir in oil, then pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, mix together powdered sugar, milk, and 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract until smooth. Frost the top of the cooled pound cake with icing.
- Let the icing set before cutting into slices.