This simple chocolate cake is for everyone to make, it has two layers of soft and moist chocolate cake that is filled and frosted with chocolate frosting. To start, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and then you will need two 9 ich that is 23 centimeters cake pans. Lightly butter the pans then line with a parchment paper. This cake is really simple and you can always make it by hand, in a large bowl, add all-purpose flour and that add sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder and you can use either the natural or dutch processed cocoa powder.
Add in baking powder, baking soda and salt then stir that together to make sure everything is well mixed in. For the wet ingredients, bread in two large eggs in a bowl then whisk them then add milk and you can use full fat or reduce fat milk, you will also add coffee or water then add in flavorless oil. The good thing about oil in the cake is that it gives your cake a nice soft texture and does not get hard when refrigerated. For flavor, you will add vanilla extract.
Pour the wet into the dry ingredients and then stir it together until well blended, your batter will be quite thin and that is how it should be. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pans and evenly divide the batter between them the bake them in the oven for 28 to 32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean. Let them cool once out of the oven for about 15 minutes before removing from the pan.
For the frosting, the first thing you will do is melt the chocolate and you could do it in the microwave or have a saucepan with the chocolate over simmering water. you could use bittersweet or unsweetened chocolate, use good quality chocolate the one that you can eat on its own. Once melted, let the melted chocolate cool to room temperature.
In a large bowl, then add in butter and have that at room temperature, beat that until nice and smooth. Add in powdered sugar and vanilla extract for flavoring then beat that in to get a little air in it until it’s nice and fluffy. Add in the cooled melted chocolate and beat it from low to high speed until really nice and fluffy.
Place one of the cake layers on a plate then place the frosting on the middle and spread it over the cake and then take the second layer and place it over the first layer. Frost it from the top and take it to the sides and frost it generously. Slice the cake and enjoy it.
- 2 cups (400 grams) granulated white sugar
- 1 3/4 cups (245 grams) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (75 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder (natural or Dutch-processed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (240 ml) warm water or coffee
- 1 cup (240 ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) corn, vegetable, safflower or canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 6 ounces (180 grams) semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup (226 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups (230 grams) confectioners (powdered or icing) sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place oven rack in the center of the oven. Butter, or spray with a nonstick vegetable spray, two – 9 inch (23 cm) cake pans. Then line the bottoms of the pans with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the eggs, water (or coffee), milk, oil, and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir, or whisk, until combined.
- Evenly divide the batter between the two pans and bake for about 27 – 32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake just comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes. Then remove the cakes from their pans and cool completely on a greased wire rack before frosting.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until smooth and creamy. Add the sugar and beat until it is light and fluffy.
- Beat in the vanilla extract. Add the chocolate and beat on low speed until incorporated. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until frosting is smooth and glossy.