This versatile hot milk chocolate cake is a great base for other desserts. It always comes out light and springy, yet sturdy enough to soak up flavorings without disintegrating. In a large mixing bowl, add the eggs and caster sugar then using a wire whisk, whisk it until nice and fluffy and frothy.
In a separate bowl, sift in the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder then add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and mix until everything starts to come together. In a saucepan, add milk and butter and heat them over medium heat until the butter melts then add vanilla extract and keep stirring until the butter is well melted and mixed in with the milk.
Add the hot milk to the flour mixture slowly while stirring until you get a smooth batter with no lumps. Pour the batter into a parchment-lined baking tin then bake in a 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 30 minutes. To assemble this cake, coat it with a layer of thick chocolate ganache, top it with fruits and serve.
- 230g/ 8.1Oz (1 1/8 cups) caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 240g/8.5Oz (1 cup) flour
- 4 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 250ml(1 cup) milk
- 125g/4.4Oz (1/2 cup)butter
- 1 Tbsp vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Prepare two round baking tins.
- Place eggs and sugar into a bowl and whisk on high until lighter in colour, thick and frothy
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt together and fold into the egg mixture until all ingredients are just wet
- Melt the butter into the milk in a pot on low heat. Add the vanilla essence once mixed together
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the batter and stir until it reaches a smooth consistency. Mix carefully so as to not lose any of the air in the whipped eggs
- Divide the batter equally between the two cake tins and place in the preheated oven. Leave to bake for 30 minutes
- Once done, remove from the oven and allow to cool before frosting.