This cake is so mouth, so tender and absolutely delicious. If you are looking for a regular cake to go well with tea or coffee, this is the one. Vanilla cakes know no boundaries, you can bake it as a sheet, round or square cake. Preheat your oven to 335 degrees Fahrenheit then grease the bottom and sides of your baking tin.
You will start by combining all the liquid ingredients together, measure the milk into a jar and to that add vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla then give that a light whisks just to break the yolks. Into the bowl of a stand mixer, add the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt then with a paddle attachment, give it a little stir just to make sure everything is combined then add your butter in small chunks, this process is what is going to create a really tender and melt in your mouth cake.
Add the milk and oil mixture all at once into the dry ingredients and mix it for two minutes. This process with develop a light and airy texture for the cake and create as much structure as possible. Continue mixing on low speed until you have a smooth batter with no lumps.
Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan(s) then bake in the oven at 335 degrees for about 25 to 30 minutes. Once the cake is baked and out of the oven, let it cool down and serve it with a cup of tea or you can frost the cake with an easy buttercream and serve.
Vanilla Cake Recipe:
- Milk, 113 ml
- 85 ml Canola oil or Vegetable oil
- 170 ml whole milk to be mixed with the eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 368 g (13Oz) cake flour
- 368 g (13Oz) granulated sugar
- 14 g baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 227 g (8Oz) unsalted butter softened to room temperature but not melted
Easy Buttercream Frosting:
- 454 g (16Oz) powdered sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 454 g (16Oz) unsalted butter softened to room temperature but not melted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 335º F/168º C then grease the baking pan with butter or oil.
- Place 113ml of milk in a separate measuring cup and add the oil to the milk and set it aside.
- To the remaining 170ml of milk, add the vanilla and room temperature eggs then whisk gently to combine. Set aside.
- Place the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into the bowl of your stand mixer with the paddle attachment.
- Turn the mixer onto the slowest speed and slowly add chunks of your softened butter until it is all added then let everything mix until it looks like coarse sand.
- Add your milk/oil mixture all at once to the dry ingredients and mix on medium for 2 minutes then scrape the bowl.
- Slowly add in the milk/egg mixture while mixing on low, stopping to scrape the bowl one more time halfway through. Mix until just combined. Your batter should be thick and not too runny.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan(s) and bake for 30 minutes, once baked, insert a toothpick to see if it comes out clean then remove the cake from the oven and set it aside then remove the cake from the pan and let it cool.
- Serve the cake plain as it with a cup of tea or prepare the buttercream frosting and frost the cake and serve. Enjoy.